Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinity Singularities

1. Jan 18, 2006 #1
    I have an interest in physics, I have not studied it at any high levels (as u will soon find out :rofl: ), i just like to read and think about it, but I have a question, please don't blind me with maths!

If a singularity at a black hole has infinity density, I'm guessing this means it has infinite gravity. If someone has infinite gravity, wont everything in the universe get sucked into it instantaneously? Why does this not happen?

Sorry if my question sounded a bit dumb, which i guess it probably did!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2006 #2

JesseM

Science Advisor

The answer is that it doesn't have infinite gravity, gravity is based on total mass rather than density, and the mass of the singularity is not infinite. For example, if the sun were replaced by a black hole of equal mass, the gravitational pull felt by the earth wouldn't change, so it would remain in the same orbit.

4. Jan 18, 2006 #3
    how does something that has no size have a finite mass ?

5. Jan 18, 2006 #4

JesseM

Science Advisor

mass doesn't really have anything to do with size, except in the sense that normally mass = density*volume...but obviously this formula breaks down when the density is infinite and the volume is zero, infinity times zero doesn't have a well-defined answer. But obviously if you keep cutting the volume in half while doubling the density, the mass will stay constant, and that's basically what's going on when the matter in a star is being compressed into a singularity.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?