Is Infinity x 0 Equal to Zero?

In summary: Therefore, infinity times zero is indeterminate and does not have a specific answer. In summary, multiplication involving infinity does not follow the same rules as regular numbers. Therefore, infinity times zero is indeterminate and does not have a specific answer.
Kiki
What is infinity times zero? Isn't it zero? I mean, infinity times zero is the same as zero an infinite amount of times, and adding zero infinitely would give zero because even though zero is always being added, this process is the same as nothing ever being added to zero.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Kiki said:
What is infinity times zero? Isn't it zero?

Simple rules of arithmetic don't apply to infinity, and as such ## \infty \times 0## doesn't mean anything. It's indeterminate.

Kiki said:
I mean, infinity times zero is the same as zero an infinite amount of times, and adding zero infinitely would give zero because even though zero is always being added, this process is the same as nothing ever being added to zero.

That leads to all kinds of confusing arguments, what then is ##.0000000000000000000001 \times \infty##? What about ##
\lim_{x \to \infty} (x \times 1/x)##, why is that one in this case?

Adding something that is finite an infinite amount of times would not lead to a finite value, it would lead to an infinite value, so maybe that is the answer to the your first question.

The second question is about limits (which I could use help with), but x/x = 1, so maybe there is no need to consider the variable x as it goes to infinity, so there is no need to consider a limit.

Kiki said:
Adding something that is finite an infinite amount of times would not lead to a finite value, it would lead to an infinite value, so maybe that is the answer to the your first question.

You're still thinking about infinity as an actual amount, it doesn't belong to any of the numbers in which arithmetic depend on. It's a concept. What infinity are we multiplying it by? Is there a difference between the infinity between 3 and 4? or 3.1 and 3.2? Both contain an infinite amount of numbers between them. Would you still reach the same conclusions?

Kiki said:
The second question is about limits (which I could use help with), but x/x = 1, so maybe there is no need to consider the variable x as it goes to infinity, so there is no need to consider a limit.

I used limit terms since I assumed that's where you confusion arose. I know I thought similar things back when I started learning limits. ##\lim_{x \to \infty} (x) = \infty##, ##\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{1}{x}= 0 ##, ## \lim_{x \to \infty} (x \times \frac{1}{x}) = 0 \times \infty = 1## In this case ##0 \times \infty = 1## which is a contradiction to the statement above.

Likes Logical Dog
Kiki said:
No, this isn't true. Consider ##\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac 1 {2^n} = 1 + \frac 1 2 + \frac 1 4 + \frac 1 8 + \dots + \frac 1 {2^n} + \dots##. Here we're adding an infinite number of terms, all of which are finite, and it can be shown that these all add up to 2.
Kiki said:
What about ##\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{n - 1}{n + 1}##? It can be shown that this limit is 1, even though ##\frac{n - 1}{n + 1}## is always less than 1 for any finite value of n.

Likes Student100
Kiki said:
What is infinity times zero? Isn't it zero? I mean, infinity times zero is the same as zero an infinite amount of times, and adding zero infinitely would give zero because even though zero is always being added, this process is the same as nothing ever being added to zero.

Multiplication is a process involving numbers. Infinity is not a number, so cannot be used in multiplication.

1. What does the expression "Infinity x 0" mean?

The expression "Infinity x 0" refers to the mathematical operation of multiplying infinity by zero. This can also be written as ∞ x 0.

2. Is "Infinity x 0" equal to zero?

No, "Infinity x 0" is not equal to zero. In fact, any number multiplied by zero is equal to zero, except for infinity. This is because infinity is not a number, it is a concept representing something without limit or end.

3. Can infinity be multiplied by any number?

No, infinity can only be multiplied by certain numbers. For example, infinity multiplied by any number greater than zero is equal to infinity. However, infinity multiplied by any negative number is undefined.

4. How can we explain the concept of "Infinity x 0"?

The concept of "Infinity x 0" can be explained using limits in calculus. When we take the limit of a function as x approaches infinity, the result can be zero. However, this does not mean that infinity multiplied by zero is equal to zero, but rather it is a limit or an approach to zero.

5. Why is it not possible to multiply infinity by zero?

It is not possible to multiply infinity by zero because infinity is not a real number and does not follow the same rules as other numbers. Additionally, the concept of multiplication involves repeated addition, which is not possible with infinity as it is not a finite value.