Infinity vs Transfinite?

• Thread starter tacsec
  • Start date
So transfinite is larger than infinity right?
So if there was an infinitely large object, would a transfinite object be larger than the infinitely large object?

Answers and Replies

Err, did you actually click on the link? Your question is answered right in the first sentence of that article.

Err, did you actually click on the link? Your question is answered right in the first sentence of that article.

It said absolute infinity was bigger than transfinity. What I got from that was absolute infinity > transfinity > infinity.

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What I get from the Wiki article on the transfinite is that "absolute infinity" is a concept that leads to paradox. It cannot exist.

I had to go digging for the meaning of "transfinity". It is a noun referring to the general concept of the transfinite. It is not a number.

"Infinity" is not a single well defined number. Comparing it for size against something else that is not a number at all is nonsensical.

Likes tacsec
mathman
Science Advisor
Transfinite is a term used to describe various sizes of infinity, countable, non-countable, etc., usually described by alephs. Infinity is a more general term about quantities that are not finite.

This discussion should be in the mathematics forum.

Likes tacsec
berkeman
Mentor
This discussion should be in the mathematics forum.

Done. :smile:

Okay I did some extra research kind of get it now. So transfinite just refers to the sets of never ending numbers, and Infinity is supposed to contain all transfinite sets. Is that correct?

mathman
Science Advisor