1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inflating balloon

1. Nov 22, 2006 #1
    This is one of many postings from me this week :yuck: unfortunately I'm just not getting the correct answers...anyway here I go :

A toy balloon is inflated with helium at a constant pressure that is 4.2e5 Pa in excess of atmospheric pressure. If the balloon inflates from a volume of 1.4e-4m3 to 9.6e-4m3, how much work is done by the balloon on the surrounding air? answer in J
    this is my work

P= 4.2e5Pa + 101300Pa
    = 521 300 Pa
    dV = (Vf-Vi) = (9.6e-4 - 1.4e-4)
    = 0.00082m3

W= 521 300Pa x (0.00082m3)
    427.466 J (incorrect on homework server)

I'm guessing it has something to do with the work on the surrounding air...I have been looking in my books and course notes for this and I can't find anything...can anybody help me out??

Any help is appreciated,
    Sergio

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2006 #2
    Is this what the problem is supposed to be: A toy balloon is inflated with helium at a constant pressure that is [tex]4.2e^5[/tex] Pa in excess of atmospheric pressure. If the balloon inflates from a volume of [tex]1.4e^{-4}m^3[/tex] to [tex]9.6e^{-4}m^3[/tex], how much work is done by the balloon on the surrounding air? answer in J

(?)

4. Nov 22, 2006 #3
    Yes thats exactly the question on my homework page :)

5. Nov 23, 2006 #4
    Hey we finally got the answer...for the pressure...do not add the atmospheric pressure...simply use the one in the question

THank you for your time

Sergio

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?