Will Both Bags Fill at the Same Rate? Thoughts and Answers Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses a system with a rigid pipe supplying air at a constant rate, two elongated air tight bags, and another rigid pipe connecting all three components. The question is whether the bags will fill at the same rate and the answer is that they should, assuming there are no restrictions like valves or regulators. However, more information about sizes and flow rates is needed to provide a definite answer.
Lutzee
Ok imagine this:

--1---|------2-------
|
|
|-------3------

1 is a rigid pipe supplying air at a constant rate
2 and 3 are elongated air tight cloth bags of equal volume
4 is a rigid pipe connecting the 1,2 and 3 together

Would both the bags fill at the same rate?

I think they would and i THINK I know why, but i am not sure.

Could someone tell me if they would/wouln't and why that is the case?

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure will remain equal throughout the system, so the inflation rates should be the same. This assumes that there aren't any restrictions such as valves or regulators.

Since the OP hasn't provided any information about sizes or flow rates, we can't give a meaningful answer. Ie, are 1 and 4 equal in size? And speed matters too - if the velocity of the air in 1 is high and 4 T's off it, there will not be an even split of air.

Good points. I spake too soon. :redface:

1. Will both bags fill at the same rate?

The answer to this question depends on a few factors. If both bags have the same amount of liquid and the same size opening, then they will likely fill at the same rate. However, if one bag is larger or has a wider opening, it may fill faster than the other bag. Additionally, the viscosity of the liquid can also affect the rate at which it fills the bags.

2. What factors can affect the rate at which the bags fill?

As mentioned before, the size of the bags and their openings can play a role in the rate at which they fill. Other factors that can affect the filling rate include the viscosity of the liquid, the pressure or force being applied to fill the bags, and any obstacles or blockages in the filling process.

3. Will temperature make a difference in the filling rate of the bags?

Yes, temperature can definitely affect the filling rate of the bags. Warmer temperatures can make the liquid less viscous, meaning it will flow more easily and may fill the bags faster. Conversely, colder temperatures can make the liquid more viscous, slowing down the filling process.

4. How can I determine if the bags are filling at the same rate?

One way to determine if the bags are filling at the same rate is to measure the amount of liquid in each bag over a certain period of time. If the levels in both bags are increasing at the same rate, then they are likely filling at the same rate. Another way is to use a flow meter to measure the flow rate of the liquid into each bag.

5. Can the angle at which the bags are being filled affect the filling rate?

Yes, the angle at which the bags are being filled can definitely impact the filling rate. If one bag is at a steeper angle, the liquid may flow more quickly into it compared to a bag at a shallower angle. This is because gravity will have a greater effect on the liquid in the steeper bag, causing it to flow more quickly.