Inflation and baby universes

• Thread starter dude01
  • Start date
I really enjoyed Sean Carroll's book "From Eternity to here" and his explanation about the connection of the arrow of time and the low-entropy event which is called big bang.

There is something I did not understand though. He stated that inflation is not an explanation for the low-entropy beginning as entropy was even lower before. On the other hand, he proposed a scenario where baby universes are created and then blown-up by inflation (and also our universe).

I ask myself though why it should not be possible that inflation created the current state "on top" of a universe that was already in a de-sitter vacuum state. Entropy would still increase while new matter is created by the inflation process. Also, as inflation expands so fast a tiny region fluctuating into the the high-energy inflational state anywhere could be sufficient to shape a universe like ours.

As there was basically "nothing" there before (just de-sitter vacuum), could such a scenario be even distinguished from one where the universe is created "from scratch" with inflation (e.g., from the baby universes)?

thanks for your answer!
Oliver Mattausch

Answers and Replies

Chalnoth
Science Advisor
I ask myself though why it should not be possible that inflation created the current state "on top" of a universe that was already in a de-sitter vacuum state. Entropy would still increase while new matter is created by the inflation process. Also, as inflation expands so fast a tiny region fluctuating into the the high-energy inflational state anywhere could be sufficient to shape a universe like ours.
This is basically the idea that Sean Carroll and Jennifer Chen proposed:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0410270