Inflation & Gravity: Exploring the Mystery

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inflation in the universe and its acceleration, questioning why it is not expected to appear that way due to the effects of gravity and space-time. The speaker also mentions the theory of dark energy and the uniformity of the universe, providing additional resources for further understanding.
LeeJeffries
I say inflation, I might possibly not mean it. I've read that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, and it's a mystery why, but my question is why isn't it expected to appear that way?

If the masses of galaxies are spiralling towards the center where gravity is highest, and as more mass moves towards the center, space-time becomes more and more warped quicker and quicker as gravity increases, why wouldn't the space-time between galaxies curve quicker and quicker, redshifting the light?

In my head I picture it as the back of a chesterfield sofa, where galaxies are the studs and space-time is the leather inbetween

Where have I gone wrong? I admit "dark energy" just seems too stretched of an idea for me

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean the universe is expanding. Inflation was the very brief theoretical period in the big bang model right after the big bang when things got much bigger really,really fast...briefly faster than the speed of light.

Everywhere we look, more distant galaxies are receding at greater speeds than closer ones. Nobody knows why for sure but Einstein's equations suggest, despite Einstein's initial interpretation that things "just had to be stable", that the universe should be expanding or contracting. As you point out, it was discovered that not only is the universe expanding but is doing so at an accelerating rate.

As far as is known, the universe is quite isotropic and uniform over vast distances, NOT curved, but flat or very close to flat. In other words, there do not seem to be concentrations of mass or energy so vast as to curve much of the universe except locally, as perhaps within a galaxy or a massive black hole. Spacetime "between galaxies" would be some of the least curved as there isn't much there to curve it.

You can find more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expanding_universe

and maybe try "cosmological constant" if you are interested.

1. What is the concept of inflation in relation to gravity?

Inflation is a theory in cosmology that explains the rapid expansion of the universe in the first fraction of a second after the Big Bang. It suggests that the universe underwent a period of exponential expansion, causing it to grow from a singularity to its current size in a matter of seconds. This expansion was driven by a repulsive force known as "inflation", which is thought to have been caused by a hypothetical particle called the inflaton.

2. How does inflation help to explain the uniformity of the universe?

One of the main mysteries of the universe is its uniformity - the fact that it appears the same in all directions. Inflation provides an explanation for this by suggesting that the rapid expansion of the universe caused any irregularities or variations to be smoothed out. This means that the universe we see today appears to be homogeneous and isotropic, with the same properties and composition in all directions.

3. What role does gravity play in the theory of inflation?

Gravity is a fundamental force that governs the motion of matter in the universe. In the theory of inflation, gravity plays a crucial role in driving the rapid expansion of the universe. The inflaton particle, which is responsible for the inflationary expansion, has a negative gravitational mass, causing it to repel rather than attract matter. This repulsive force is what leads to the exponential growth of the universe during inflation.

4. How does inflation help to explain the distribution of matter in the universe?

Inflation is also believed to be responsible for the distribution of matter in the universe. During the period of rapid expansion, tiny quantum fluctuations in the inflaton field were magnified to a larger scale, creating slight variations in the density of matter. These variations eventually led to the formation of structures like galaxies and clusters of galaxies. Therefore, inflation provides a mechanism for the observed large-scale structure of the universe.

5. Is there any evidence to support the theory of inflation?

While the concept of inflation is still a topic of ongoing research and debate, there is some evidence to support its existence. One of the main pieces of evidence is the observation of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang. This radiation is remarkably uniform, with only small variations that can be explained by inflation. Additionally, observations of galaxies and their distribution also align with the predictions of inflation. However, further research and observations are needed to fully confirm the theory.