Calculating Real GDP Growth with Nominal GDP and Inflation Rates

• Thread starter MaxManus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inflation
In summary, the growth in real GDP can be approximated by subtracting the inflation rate from the nominal GDP growth rate. In this case, it would be 1.07-0.02=0.05 or 5%.
MaxManus

Homework Statement

If nominal GDP grows with 7 % and the inflation is 2%
What is the growth in real GDP

The Attempt at a Solution

is it 1.07/1.02

or
ln(1.07) - ln(1.02)

?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the absence of any other information, just subtract to get the real GDP growth rate. I don't think the problem is any more complicated than this.

For example, suppose the initial GDP is 1.00 and it increases by 100G%- real increase in GDP is 1+ G. With 100I% inflation that would be an inflated value of (1+G)(1+ I)= 1+ G+ I+ IG or an "inflated" increase of G+ I+ IG. If that is what you are given, R= G+ I+ IG, and given I, then G= (R-I)/(1+I). However, assuming that I and G are small (0.07 and 0.02 are small) then IG is much smaller than either I or G (0.07*0.02= 0.0014) so approximately R= G+ I and G= R- I as Mark44 said.

The simple .07- .02= .05 or 5% while the more complicated, but exact, (.07-.02)/(1+ .02)= 0.04902 or 4.902%. Your 1.07/1.02= 1.04902 would give that.

Thanks

1. What is inflation and how is it measured?

Inflation refers to the overall increase in prices of goods and services in an economy. It is typically measured by the Consumer Price Index (CPI), which tracks the average change in prices of a basket of goods and services commonly purchased by consumers.

2. What is the relationship between inflation and real GDP?

Real GDP (Gross Domestic Product) measures the total value of goods and services produced in an economy, adjusted for inflation. Inflation and real GDP have an inverse relationship, meaning that when inflation increases, real GDP decreases and vice versa.

3. How does the government control inflation?

The government can control inflation through monetary and fiscal policies. Monetary policies involve actions taken by the central bank, such as adjusting interest rates and controlling the money supply. Fiscal policies refer to government spending and taxation, which can also impact the level of inflation in an economy.

4. What are the impacts of high inflation on the economy?

High levels of inflation can have negative effects on the economy, such as reducing consumer purchasing power, increasing interest rates, and lowering real GDP. It can also lead to uncertainty and instability in the economy, making it difficult for businesses to plan and invest.

5. How does inflation affect different groups of people?

Inflation can have varying impacts on different groups of people. For example, those on fixed incomes or with savings may struggle to keep up with rising prices, while borrowers may benefit from lower real interest rates. Inflation can also disproportionately affect low-income individuals who may have less flexibility in their budgets to accommodate price increases.