Calculating Loan Reduction Strategies Using Inflation and Salary Growth

In summary, your salary would increase by 3.6% annually in relation to inflation, making your salary $816,000 at the end of the loan.
tHeUnk0wn
Current Salary=$80,000
Current Inflation Rate=3.6%

Use this rate to demonstrate that your salary will increase in relation to the inflation rate.

Background: This is a question from a home loan assignment where we have to prove how to reduce your loans using various equations to forecast number of repayments, nominal interest, etc.

Please help with this question. Even though it does sound simple, i am stumped on this one

Physics news on Phys.org
tHeUnk0wn said:
Current Salary=$80,000
Current Inflation Rate=3.6%

Use this rate to demonstrate that your salary will increase in relation to the inflation rate.

Background: This is a question from a home loan assignment where we have to prove how to reduce your loans using various equations to forecast number of repayments, nominal interest, etc.

Please help with this question. Even though it does sound simple, i am stumped on this one

Your salary will only increase if you are granted a pay rise ! ??

Do you mean show what your salary will become if your salary increases by the same amount as inflation ?

I think so

Well i would presume that as inflation increases you would naturally get a payrise but i'll give you all the information quoted from the assignment. Note: this is an assignment about Home loans and etc.

"Most people report that finding the money to make the repayments is a burden early in the loan but as they get closer to the end of the loan it is easier because their income increases in line with inflation."

Use this rate to demonstrate the truth of the above statement given that your salary over the course of the loan will increase with relation to the inflation rate

thanks for quick reply

Last edited:
tHeUnk0wn said:
I think so

Well i would presume that as inflation increases you would naturally get a pay rise but i'll give you all the information quoted from the assignment. Note: this is an assignment about Home loans and etc.

"Most people report that finding the money to make the repayments is a burden early in the loan but as they get closer to the end of the loan it is easier because their income increases in line with inflation."

Use this rate to demonstrate the truth of the above statement given that your salary over the course of the loan will increase with relation to the inflation rate

thanks for quick reply

OK - the questioner wants you to assume your salary increases with inflation.

Hopefully you can calculate what your $80 000 salary would become over a lengthy period [a home loan is often 20 years or more]

What you are looking at is that your payments might be $3000 per month on your mortgage - that is $36 000 ; a considerable percentage of your $80 000 salary.

If inflation was to eventually double your salary to $160 000, you would still only be paying the $3000 per month, so $36 000 per year, and $36 000 is a much smaller percentage of your [now] larger salary.

Indeed, if you could guarantee that your salary would increase with inflation, people would be happy for inflation to be 20%, so your salary would quickly increase to $80 000 000 while your mortgage is still only $36 000 per year.

Much of the financial woes around the world have origins in salaries NOT increasing with inflation, especially for the workers; the CEOs and other management levels don't seem to have that problem.

So basically i assume that inflation would increase how salary increases with it and also show how much easier it is to make repayments based upon total salary.

tHeUnk0wn said:
So basically i assume that inflation would increase how salary increases with it and also show how much easier it is to make repayments based upon total salary.

Effectively yes.

thanks for your replies

1. What is inflation rate?

Inflation rate refers to the percentage increase in the overall price level of goods and services in an economy over a certain period of time. It is typically measured using the Consumer Price Index (CPI) which tracks the prices of a basket of commonly purchased goods and services.

2. Why is inflation rate a problem?

Inflation rate can be a problem because it reduces the purchasing power of a currency, meaning that the same amount of money can buy fewer goods and services. This can lead to a decrease in consumer spending, lower economic growth, and financial uncertainty.

3. How is inflation rate calculated?

Inflation rate is calculated by comparing the current CPI with the CPI from a previous period (usually a year) and finding the percentage change. The formula is: (Current CPI - Previous CPI) / Previous CPI x 100.

4. What causes inflation rate to increase?

There are several factors that can cause inflation rate to increase, including an increase in demand for goods and services, a decrease in the supply of goods and services, and an increase in the money supply. Other factors such as changes in government policies, natural disasters, and global events can also impact inflation rate.

5. How does inflation rate affect the economy?

Inflation rate can have both positive and negative effects on the economy. In the short term, a moderate inflation rate can stimulate economic growth by encouraging consumer spending and investment. However, high and unpredictable inflation rates can lead to economic instability, decrease in purchasing power, and a decrease in the standard of living for individuals and businesses.