Does Inflation Theory Exclude the Impact on Temporal Dimension?

In summary: Moment in time and space are two concepts with a complicated definition in GR. Don't imagine that just because they're used in one sentence that they're automatically defined in the same way in the next sentence.
Mayank_Jha
"In physical cosmology, cosmic inflation, cosmological inflation, or just inflation is the exponential expansion of space in the early universe. " -Wikipedia
Since Inflation Theory specifically talks about 'space', does it mean that inflation didn't have any effects on the temporal dimension even though space and time are interwoven?

Space news on Phys.org
Correct. Both inflation and regular expansion involve only the spatial dimensions, not time. Both are the result of changing spatial geometry that leaves time unaffected.

Drakkith said:
Correct. Both inflation and regular expansion involve only the spatial dimensions, not time. Both are the result of changing spatial geometry that leaves time unaffected.
Doesn't "change," though, involve time? How can something change, or go from one thing to another, if you don't include a concept/variable of time?

If we consider the Hartle-Hawking state, did inflation occur before the introduction of time?

Mayank_Jha said:
If we consider the Hartle-Hawking state, did inflation occur before the introduction of time?

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation_(cosmology )

The inflationary epoch lasted from 10−36 seconds after the Big Bang to sometime between 10−33 and 10−32 seconds.

By this estimate, it looks as though time was already around during the inflationary epoch. Hartle-Hawking is a speculation dating prior to the Planck epoch. Inflation is thought to have occurred well past this

Last edited by a moderator:
DiracPool said:
Doesn't "change," though, involve time? How can something change, or go from one thing to another, if you don't include a concept/variable of time?

Just because it occurs over time does not mean that it affects time. The spatial geometry changes over time. Time does not change as far as I know.

Mayank_Jha said:

In standard cosmological models, inflation takes place around 10-36 seconds after the big bang. I believe the Hartle-Hawking state is concerned with the universe prior to the big bang.

If the inflationary epoch would've been longer/shorter, the rate of expansion of space would've been affected, right?
So is there any such 'factor' that might've affected the rate of flow of time? (I know this is a stupid question, but this just occurred to me right now)

Note that inflation and expansion are both the result of the geometry of space changing. This affects the position of objects relative to one another within space. As far as I know there is no analog for time since it is only one dimensional, but I'm not an expert so I could be wrong.

Drakkith said:
Note that inflation and expansion are both the result of the geometry of space changing. This affects the position of objects relative to one another within space. As far as I know there is no analog for time since it is only one dimensional, but I'm not an expert so I could be wrong.

With 142 views on this thread already, I think you're right because nobody said otherwise.

Geometry of space or spacetime?
Is it thought that spacetime did not exit prior?
Is it thought that spacetime expanded, not just space?

in this case it amounts to the same thing, the space component of spacetime expands

bahamagreen said:

That's exactly what I thought initially, but later when I realized that Wikipedia (and many other sources) specifically talk about 'space' in Inflation Theory, I became doubtful...

Mayank_Jha said:
That's exactly what I thought initially, but later when I realized that Wikipedia (and many other sources) specifically talk about 'space' in Inflation Theory, I became doubtful...

Since inflation (if it did indeed happen, as it very likely did) did not take place instantaneously, it obviously happened over a period of time.

Inflation is stated variously as having occurred during the period from about 10E-35 seconds after the singularity to about 10E-33 seconds after the singularity, which is to say a duration of about 10E-33 seconds.

I've seen the amount of the expansion stated variously as being anything from about 10E40 to about 10E50, which is a range of a FACTOR of 10E10, which implies pretty strongly that the actual amount of expansion is not well known but it was huge.

These numbers (10E-33 seconds and 10E40 factor of expansion) are simply unimaginable in anything like human terms and so the combination of the two is even less imaginable in human terms.

Had either the duration or the expansion been a different amount with the other staying the same then the rate would obviously have been different.

bahamagreen said:
"Expanding spacetime" simply does not make sense. It would mean that you have at one point in time a certain spacetime, and at the next instant a larger one.
There is only one spacetime. You have at one moment in time a certain space, and at the next instant a larger one. All these spaces together build spacetime, just like infinitely many 2d planes together build 3d space.

Caution: "moment in time" and "space" are terms with a rather complicated definition in GR. Don't imagine space as something fundamental that has expansion as one of its fundamental properties. It's a bit more subtle.

phinds said:
Since inflation (if it did indeed happen, as it very likely did) did not take place instantaneously, it obviously happened over a period of time.

Inflation is stated variously as having occurred during the period from about 10E-35 seconds after the singularity to about 10E-33 seconds after the singularity, which is to say a duration of about 10E-33 seconds.

I've seen the amount of the expansion stated variously as being anything from about 10E40 to about 10E50, which is a range of a FACTOR of 10E10, which implies pretty strongly that the actual amount of expansion is not well known but it was huge.

These numbers (10E-33 seconds and 10E40 factor of expansion) are simply unimaginable in anything like human terms and so the combination of the two is even less imaginable in human terms.

Had either the duration or the expansion been a different amount with the other staying the same then the rate would obviously have been different.

I guess you quoted the wrong thing while saying this.

Ich said:
"Expanding spacetime" simply does not make sense. It would mean that you have at one point in time a certain spacetime, and at the next instant a larger one.
There is only one spacetime. You have at one moment in time a certain space, and at the next instant a larger one. All these spaces together build spacetime, just like infinitely many 2d planes together build 3d space.

Caution: "moment in time" and "space" are terms with a rather complicated definition in GR. Don't imagine space as something fundamental that has expansion as one of its fundamental properties. It's a bit more subtle.

I wasn't really talking about spacetime as a whole...I was talking about space and time independently...
Although it's understood that inflation didn't have any effects on the temporal dimension, I can't really make sense of the example given...if it's an infinitely finite system made up of different planes, if a few more planes are to stacked to the whole wouldn't it affect the system as a whole anyway?

Mayank_Jha said:
I guess you quoted the wrong thing while saying this.

I have no idea what you are talking about. What do you find incorrect about what I said?

phinds said:

The above was your reply to this, I guess:

Mayank_Jha said:
If the inflationary epoch would've been longer/shorter, the rate of expansion of space would've been affected, right?
So is there any such 'factor' that might've affected the rate of flow of time? (I know this is a stupid question, but this just occurred to me right now)

But you quoted this:

Mayank_Jha said:

I wasn't really talking about spacetime as a whole...I was talking about space and time independently...
I quoted bahamagreen, not you. But you seemed to agree with him at that time.
I can't really make sense of the example given...if it's an infinitely finite system made up of different planes, if a few more planes are to stacked to the whole wouldn't it affect the system as a whole anyway?
Sorry. Another try: Forget about one dimension and imagine spacetime as some three-dimensional (instead of four-dimensional) thing. Then imagine you slice that thing into infinitely many infinitely thin sheets. This is called a "foliation".
Now every sheet of said foliation represents a "space". The direction orthogonal to all those sheets is "time". And "space expansion" means that every later sheet is - by some measure - larger than the former ones.
That whole "spacetime" thing is absolutely static. "Expansion" is something that denotes a difference of sheets that are separated by a certain distance in the time direction. With this in mind, it absolutely makes no sense to think about an "expansion of the time dimension".

Ich said:
I quoted bahamagreen, not you. But you seemed to agree with him at that time.
Sorry. Another try: Forget about one dimension and imagine spacetime as some three-dimensional (instead of four-dimensional) thing. Then imagine you slice that thing into infinitely many infinitely thin sheets. This is called a "foliation".
Now every sheet of said foliation represents a "space". The direction orthogonal to all those sheets is "time". And "space expansion" means that every later sheet is - by some measure - larger than the former ones.
That whole "spacetime" thing is absolutely static. "Expansion" is something that denotes a difference of sheets that are separated by a certain distance in the time direction. With this in mind, it absolutely makes no sense to think about an "expansion of the time dimension".

Thank you, I get it now.
I wasn't really talking about expansion per se...I was wondering if there's anything that affected the rate of flow of time...because initially I thought inflation affected the rate of time as well.

Mayank_Jha said:
...because initially I thought inflation affected the rate of time as well.
I think that's not the case per definition. The concept of proper time, the time as measured by a clock, doesn't depend on what happens. In the case of inflation the elapsed proper time is just short.

I was wondering if there's anything that affected the rate of flow of time...because initially I thought inflation affected the rate of time as well.
There's no such thing as a "rate of time". As timmdeeg says, proper time flows with 1s per s, per definition.
Time dilation happens when you compare the length of two segments on different world lines and find them different, even when you thought that they ought to represent the same "amount of time" for one reason or another. It's a very subjective, coordinate-dependent concept. And, most importantly, it always applies to a comparison of two different worldlines. There is no way in GR to define the "flow of time" for a single observer, other than said boring 1 second per second, which could not be affected by whatever inflationary or other reason you might come up with.

GR = General Relativity, right?

Mayank_Jha said:
GR = General Relativity, right?

Yes.

1. What is Inflation Theory?

Inflation Theory is a scientific explanation for the rapid expansion of the universe in the first few moments after the Big Bang. It proposes that the universe underwent a period of rapid expansion, increasing in size by a factor of at least 10^26 in less than a second.

2. What evidence supports Inflation Theory?

One of the key pieces of evidence for Inflation Theory is the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the Big Bang and shows a nearly uniform distribution of energy across the universe. Inflation Theory also explains the observed flatness and homogeneity of the universe, as well as the distribution of galaxies and large-scale structures.

3. How does Inflation Theory relate to the formation of galaxies and stars?

Inflation Theory provides a framework for understanding how galaxies and stars formed from the initial hot and dense state of the universe. The rapid expansion allowed for matter to spread out and form clumps, which eventually collapsed under their own gravity to form galaxies and stars.

4. Is Inflation Theory widely accepted in the scientific community?

Yes, Inflation Theory is widely accepted as the most plausible explanation for the observed features of the universe. It is supported by a wealth of observational and theoretical evidence, and has been extensively studied and refined by scientists over the years.

5. How does Inflation Theory impact our understanding of the origin of the universe?

Inflation Theory is a crucial component of the Big Bang model, which is currently the most widely accepted explanation for the origin of the universe. It helps to explain the initial conditions of the universe and provides a plausible mechanism for the universe's rapid expansion, setting the stage for the formation of galaxies and other structures we see today.