Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inflationary theory

1. Jan 31, 2006 #1
    I was hoping someone can give a more "dumbed" down explantion of this for me? I know that it deals with "how the big bang started, but i'm kind of having a hard time wrapping my head around this.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually Inflation deals with just after the "the big bang started".

There are three coincidence problems with the 'raw' GR cosmological model, caused by its acceleration decelerating, viz: the horizon, the density and the smoothness problem and a fourth 'magnetic monopole' problem.

These were resolved by Inflation theory, first proposed by Alan Guth in 1981 by combining insights from fundamental physics with cosmology. In it a sudden release of energy at a phase change in the 'Higgs field' causes the universe to undergoe a short impulse of explosive acceleration in its expansion.

The theory makes some predictions which appear to be verified by cosmological observations but it also requires the existence of a fundamental particle called the Higgs boson, or alternatively, Inflaton, which have not been found even after over twenty years of intense research.

You can read more here

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?