1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inflationatory universe

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This problem concerns a simplified model of the history of a flat universe involving a period of inflation. The history is split into four periods:
    (a) [itex]0<t<t_3[/itex] radiation only
    (b) [itex]t_3<t<t_2[/itex] vacuum energy dominates, with an effective cosmological constant [itex]\Lambda = \frac{3}{4} t_3^2[/itex]
    (c) [itex]t_2<t<t_1[/itex] a period of radiation domination
    (d) [itex]t_1<t<t_0[/itex] matter domination

Give simple analytical formulae for the expansion parameter [itex]a(t)[/itex] which are approximateley true in these four phases.

2. The attempt at a solution
    In epoch (d) I guess the ordinary solution for radiation dominated universes holds:

[tex] a(t)=a_0 \left( \frac{t}{t_0} \right) ^{2/3}[/tex]

and in epoch (c) I guess for the matter solution

[tex]a(t) = a_0 \left( \frac{t}{t_0} \right) ^{1/2}[/tex]

but here I have used the present scale factor [itex]a_0[/itex] and present time [itex]t_0[/itex] in both cases. Is that really correct?

For the epoch (b) I have used a de Sitter solution with a cosmological constant as

[tex]a(t) = A exp \left[ \left( \frac{1}{3} \Lambda \right)^{1/2} ct \right][/tex]

but I don't know if this is true.

For the first epoch I have no clue. Should I use the ordinary radiation dominated solution or should I look at more Planck scaled solutions?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?