How can an inflaton field maintain its energy while expanding without diluting?

• Thread starter _PJ_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inflaton
In summary, Inflationary theories rely on the non-diluting property of the inflaton field, where energy is condensed and maintained as the field expands. This is achieved through a potential term dominating over a kinetic term, resulting in a nearly constant local energy density during a plateau period. However, the field eventually starts to slowly roll down from the plateau, acting as a cosmological constant on steroids. This explains how the field can maintain its energy while still allowing for a smooth exit, despite not having a global conservation of energy in the universe.
_PJ_
In the general descriptiopns of Inflation Theories, they mainly rely on the inflaton field having a property by which it is 'non-diluting'
Can anyone explain just how anything can be non-diluting?

Is energy simply condensed from "somewhere" to propagate the field and maintain it's energy as it expands?
By what mechanism can a field such as this maintain such a specific energy despite having a finite, but extremely dynamic size, all the while obeying principles of conservation of energy?
If the energy is condensed or otherwise a result of some asymmetry, how is this maintained throughout the expansion yet also befitting the smooth exit?

Space news on Phys.org
_PJ_ said:
all the while obeying principles of conservation of energy?
Energy is not conserved in GR.

Orodruin said:
Energy is not conserved in GR.
Thanks for a rather brief response.
And...? Inflationary theory is a QFT theory. Energies are conserved.

_PJ_ said:
Thanks for a rather brief response.
And...? Inflationary theory is a QFT theory. Energies are conserved.
No they are not. In an expanding universe you lose time-translation invariance, which is directly related to the conservation of energy through Noether's theorem. Inflationary theory is not a field theory in flat space-time.

Orodruin said:
No they are not. In an expanding universe you lose time-translation invariance.
Okay, so that must mean the field itself must definitely be expanding? Which further makes it harder for me to understand the notion that it does not dilute...

_PJ_ said:
Okay, so that must mean the field itself must definitely be expanding?
This statement makes no sense. A field is an object which has a value at each event in space-time. It does not make sense to talk about a field expanding - it fills space-time by definition.

Energy non-conservation is nothing particular for inflation, it is already there in cosmology when the universe is matter or radiation dominated.

I apologise for my bad description, I'm never good at explaining what I mean.

What I am trying to ask, is that, given space is expanding, and, as you say a field fills the entirety of space, as space expands the field must still fill all of space - I admit I was wrong to ay 'expanding' also, but my issue is still the same, and unanswered, that given an amount of net energy in the field at time zero, and then a later time, the spatial extent has increased, but the field is non-diluting, then the net energy in the field must be the same proportional to the region considered?
I accept that the energy is not conserved as you say - but that's not relevant to my main problem:

GR describes the gravitational force as responsible for the topography of the spacetime. Therefore, it is a gravitational force that powers the inflation, ovbviously just opposite to the attractive gravity we usually associate.
Gravitational energy pushing the universe outwards (i.e. expansion) is negative to the attractive gravitational energy - yet the inflationary field is non-diluting - so where is this energy from? If it's not conserved, surely there is a universal gravitational deficit?

in which case, how is this reconcilable with any smooth exit?

As Orodruin says, there is not global conservation of energy for the universe. It is possible to talk about local quantities.

In many inflation models, the local energy density of the inflation field has a kinetic term and a potential term. In popular models, the potential term starts in a plateau that dominates the kinetic term. Consequently, during this plateau the local energy density is almost constant, i.e., non-diluting. The field does, however, slowly roll down from the plateau. During the plateau period, the inflation field acts like a cosmological constant on steroids.

Thank you George, that really helps a lot.
I am relieved that you mention "almost constant" and that there is still a decline from 'potential' to 'kinetic' which is where I was mistaken in my understanding!

1. What is Inflaton - Non Diluting?

Inflaton - Non Diluting is a theoretical particle that is believed to be responsible for the rapid expansion of the universe during the period of inflation in the early universe.

2. How does Inflaton - Non Diluting differ from other inflation models?

Inflaton - Non Diluting differs from other inflation models in that it does not dilute over time, meaning its energy remains constant throughout the inflation period. This allows for a longer and more efficient period of inflation.

3. What evidence is there for the existence of Inflaton - Non Diluting?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of Inflaton - Non Diluting. However, it is a predicted component of many inflationary models and its effects can be observed through its impact on the cosmic microwave background radiation.

4. How does Inflaton - Non Diluting relate to the Big Bang Theory?

Inflaton - Non Diluting is a key component of the Big Bang Theory as it helps to explain the rapid expansion of the universe in the early stages. It is believed to have played a crucial role in the formation of the large-scale structure of the universe.

5. Can Inflaton - Non Diluting be observed or tested in any way?

As of now, there is no direct way to observe or test the existence of Inflaton - Non Diluting. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology may eventually provide ways to indirectly detect its presence through its effects on the universe.