Finding Inflection Points: Solving for a,b, and c

• Thread starter AdiV
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding inflections in a mathematical problem. It is mentioned that the derivative needs to equal zero for critical points, and the second derivative is used to find inflection points. The conversation then goes through the steps of finding the values of a, b, and c in order to have critical points at (1,5) and an inflection point at (2,3). The final answer is determined to be a = -6, b = 9, and c = 1.
AdiV
Hi, can someone help me guide me on how to find inflections? I am not too sure how to do it in such a problem as the follows:

Homework Statement

Determine a, b, and c so that the function
f(x) = x^3 + ax^2 + bx + c has critical points at (1,5) and an inflection point at (2,3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not too sure how to pursue this, for critical points I know the derivative needs to equal zero and then you find the critical points that way, but I don't know what to do for the inflection.
Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
1st derivative - critical points

2nd derivative - inflection points

Yep, thanks I figured it out
a = -9/2
b = 11

But I can't find out what c is;
This is wat I did by the way;

y = x3 + ax2 + bx + c

y' = 3x2 + 2ax + b

y'' = 6x + 2a

Take y' and plug in (1, 5)

5 = 3(1) + 2a(1) + b ==> 2a + b = 2 ... (1)

Take y'' and plug in (2, 3)

3 = 6(2) + 2a ==> a = -9/2 ... (2)

Then, plug (2) into (1) to find b

b = 11

AdiV said:
... Take y' and plug in (1, 5) Ouppss!...

...Take y'' and plug in (2, 3) Ouppps, again!...

The points (1,5), (2,3) are [tex] (x,y) [/tex] points not [tex](x,y')[/tex] or [tex](x,y'')[/tex] points!

On critical points [tex]y'(x_o)=0[/tex]

On inflection points [tex]y''(x_o)=0[/tex]

Ohh, ok, yes, I fixed it now, I have my answer to be

a = -6
b = 9
c = 1

AdiV said:
Ohh, ok, yes, I fixed it now, I have my answer to be

a = -6
b = 9
c = 1

And that's the correct one! :smile:

What is an inflection point?

An inflection point is a point on a curve where the concavity changes. This means that the slope of the curve changes from increasing to decreasing, or vice versa.

Why is finding inflection points important?

Finding inflection points can help us understand the behavior of a curve and identify critical points such as maximum or minimum values. It is also useful in optimization problems and mathematical modeling.

What is the process for finding inflection points?

To find inflection points, we first take the second derivative of the function. Then, we solve for the values of x where the second derivative equals zero. These values of x represent potential inflection points, and we can confirm by checking the sign of the second derivative before and after each point.

What are a, b, and c in the context of finding inflection points?

In the context of finding inflection points, a, b, and c refer to the coefficients of a quadratic function in the form of f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c. These coefficients help us determine the shape and direction of the curve, and ultimately, the location of inflection points.

Can inflection points exist for functions other than quadratic functions?

Yes, inflection points can exist for functions of any degree. However, the process for finding them may vary depending on the specific function and its degree.