Inflection Point Question

• Thread starter Haroldoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary: That does have two real roots (which you can find using the quadratic formula) so there are two points of inflection.In summary, the conversation discusses finding inflection points and intervals of concavity for a given curve. The second derivative is used to find the inflection points, but it is shown that for this particular curve, there are no inflection points. However, it is mentioned that the function still retains the properties of inverse functions. The conversation ends with a clarification on the existence of inflection points.
Haroldoo

Homework Statement

The question is: Find the Inflection Point(s) and Intervals of concavity for the curve

Homework Equations

Equation of Curve: 1/x - 1/(x-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so to find the Inflection point, we have been taught to find the second derivative of the equation, equate it to zero then solve for x. Ok so I tried this and I just can't seem to solve for X, the equation becomes enormous and unruly and I just don't know how to solve it. Anyways, I was looking at the graph and I couldn't see anywhere that would be an inflection point. So my question is, is there even any inflection points on this graph, and if the answer is no, then does that mean that there are no intervals of concavity as well?

Edit: Scratch what I said about no concavity, I think just by looking at the graph that it is Concave down when: x<0, x>1 and it it Concave up when: 0<x<1. However, my question about there being no inflection point still stands.
Thanks in advance =D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it is a function of an inverse function (however more complicated), and since it is the summation of two inverse functions, they will retain the properties of the inverse functions, no?

Inverse functions have no Points of Inflection equal to 0. Depending on your definition, most people would define it as when the second derivative equals zero or infinity. Well, look at your second derivative:

y'' = 2/x^3 - 2/(x-1)^3

Is there anyway that these two equations can ever equal each other and cancel out to zero or infinity?

1/x^3 = 1/(x-1)^3

What's logical now? Flip them.

x^3 = (x - 1) ^3

This is some complex foiling, but if you recall your Newton's Binomial Theorem and Pascal's Triangle, it isn't too bad.

x^3 = x^3 - x^2 + x - 1

This should be obvious. =P

0 = -x^2 + x - 1

You'll need the Quadratic Formula:

0= -(x^2 - x + 1)

(1 +- sqrt(-3))/2 deals with imaginary numbers, therefore the root DNE.

So, there is no PoI for this function.

Wow I pretty much love you right now haha, thanks a lot for your help. I don't really know what I was doing when I was trying to find the second derivative, your way was much much better. You explained it very well, you should be a teacher or somthing lol. Anyways, thanks again =D

GoldPheonix said:
Well, it is a function of an inverse function (however more complicated), and since it is the summation of two inverse functions, they will retain the properties of the inverse functions, no?

Inverse functions have no Points of Inflection equal to 0. Depending on your definition, most people would define it as when the second derivative equals zero or infinity. Well, look at your second derivative:

y'' = 2/x^3 - 2/(x-1)^3

Is there anyway that these two equations can ever equal each other and cancel out to zero or infinity?

1/x^3 = 1/(x-1)^3

What's logical now? Flip them.

x^3 = (x - 1) ^3

This is some complex foiling, but if you recall your Newton's Binomial Theorem and Pascal's Triangle, it isn't too bad.

x^3 = x^3 - x^2 + x - 1

This should be obvious. =P
I hope it's not obvious! Using Pascal's triangle, as you say,
(x-1)3= x3- 3x2+ 3x- 1.

0 = -x^2 + x - 1

You'll need the Quadratic Formula:

0= -(x^2 - x + 1)

(1 +- sqrt(-3))/2 deals with imaginary numbers, therefore the root DNE.

So, there is no PoI for this function.

From x3= (x-1)3= x3- 3x2+ 3x- 1 you get 3x2- 3x+ 1= 0.

1. What is an inflection point?

An inflection point is a point on a curve where the curvature changes from convex to concave, or vice versa. It is also known as a turning point or a point of inflection. In simpler terms, it is where a curve changes direction.

2. How is an inflection point determined?

An inflection point can be determined by finding the second derivative of a function and setting it equal to zero. The x-value of this point will be the inflection point. In graphical terms, it is where the curve changes from being concave up to concave down or vice versa.

3. What is the significance of an inflection point?

Inflection points are important in mathematical and scientific analyses because they provide information about the behavior of a curve. They can indicate where a curve changes from increasing to decreasing, or vice versa. In economics, inflection points can represent a shift in the direction of a market or economy.

4. Can a function have more than one inflection point?

Yes, a function can have multiple inflection points. This occurs when the curve has multiple changes in curvature, such as a "S" shaped curve. The number of inflection points a function has depends on the degree of the function and the complexity of the curve.

5. How are inflection points used in real-life applications?

Inflection points are used in various fields, including economics, biology, and physics. In economics, they can indicate changes in the market or economy. In biology, they can be used to study the growth and development of organisms. In physics, they can help determine the stability of structures and the behavior of waves.