1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inflection point

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1

I have read on this forum and on the internet that a function y(x) has an inflection point at x=c if y''(c) = 0. In other words, if we are asked to find inflection points of a function y(x), we need to solve y''(x) = 0

My question is, don't we also need to verify if the concavity changes from c- to c+? If we have a function that has a point x=c that verify y''(c)=0, but does not change concavity from c- to c+, then I don't think ((c, y(c)) would qualify as a inflection point.

Suppose the second derivative of some function is x2, if x=0 then the function is =0, but the function x2 is always positive, so going from 0- to 0+, there is no sign change, and thus no concavity change.

Can somebody please clarify this concept for me?
    sorry for my bad english
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello fishingspree2! :smile:

Yes, y''(c) = 0 is a necessary condition, but not a sufficient one.

You need another test, to make sure it hasn't "changed its mind"! :rolleyes:

Concavity will do. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?