Showing Appreciation for Influential Teachers

• Thread starter z-component
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teachers
In summary, a group of students are discussing ways to show appreciation for their high school physics teacher, who is beloved by all. Suggestions include buying him a gift, taking him out to dinner, or making a memento such as a framed class photo. One student suggests buying a DVD of the movie "What the Bleep Do We Know?" and a clock depicting famous scientists. However, another student disagrees, stating that the movie is not accurate and could be seen as insulting. The conversation ends with the idea of taking photos and sharing memories with the teacher.
z-component
My high school physics teacher is such a great teacher and an even greater person. All of his students absolutely love him and he loves teaching us. In a few weeks, it will be time to become seniors, and sadly, we'll have to plan days where we can only visit our old teachers just to say hello. I was thinking of some ways to show our appreciation for him. Perhaps myself and some of my friends would like to buy him something. I know it is materialistic to buy something to show our gratitude, and that it should be shown through words, but I think this guy merits a real gift.

Can anyone toss up some suggestions in the air as to what 2-3 people could buy that shows true appreciation?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
We too bought some of our teachers some gifts when we left. It was different for every teacher, just think what he might like. For one we took a picture of our class and framed it for him. For others we baked cakes (we did that for quite a few teachers). For our Greek teacher we bought a basket and filled it with Greek food, for our German teacher a bottle of wine. Before you all leave you might suggest you all go out one evening to a restaurant or cafe - we did that too. Some chemistry classes have made big foam mushrooms and signed them and they are now on display in the chemistry lab. Maybe you can think of something, if you really got on that well with your teacher and he was that good, he does deserve to know how much you appreciated his efforts, as he'd be paid even if he were lazy and uninspiring (and its sad to see when some teachers realize that and stop working as hard as before).

i feel the same way about one of my college professors. He's absoutely the best teacher that I've ever had. when this semester is over i plan to get him a dvd of the movie "what the bleep do we know" and a clock that depicts Newton or leibnitz.I know this is a little corny but he's given me so much that i wish i could give more!

RadiationX said:
iwhen this semester is over i plan to get him a dvd of the movie "what the bleep do we know"

if I was him I'd take that as a "**** you".

no that movie is about quantum physics, mathematics, neural science etc...

the movie is absolute garbage. check the QM forum, there's one thread about the movie on the first page.

Great suggestions so far! :)

sorry but i disagree. i loved the movie

maybe not everything in the movie was 100% accurate, but it was enjoyable still. Maybe since the movie was somewhat successful it will spark a more rigorous one to me made.
Isn't Walter Lewin the MIT professor in the movie?

give him a hug :D

the picture is a good idea. and tell him what you feel about him. he'll remember and treasure those things.

students tend to believe that teachers are so confident and mature that they know they do a good job and do not need to be told. teachers are actually as insecure as other people, and often wonder why so few students say anything, after all the hundreds of hours of devoted attention and preparation the teacher has given to them.

simple sincere statements, and mementos like photos or signed scrapbooks are probably good. the thought is the main thing and not the cost of the gift. but a modest communal dinner might be nice because of the comeraderie and occasion for interaction and memories.

and take some photos. In Italy, where people are famously delightful, I was amazed at the considerateness of the students who took photos of the teachers and the students, and sent us all copies. No class had ever done that before in my life, or since.

Last edited:
physics book..or maybe an after school curriculum group for studying physics?

I like the dinner idea. This would (will) mean the most to me if (when) I was (am) a teacher. :wink: You could also go to a science museum or something similar. I imagine he would appreciate hearing what he did right and would enjoy talking about physics- fun stuff, exploring ideas, his favorite physicists or discoveries, and such.

My friends and I had this math teacher in HS. Senior year we all chipped in 10 bucks and gave a plaque of one of these: http://us.st5.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/demotivators_1843_5068181

It said "Mediocrity isn't so bad, it got us through your class."

Of course, we didn't really like him.

But a plaque would be nice anyway.

PL

RadiationX said:
maybe not everything in the movie was 100% accurate, but it was enjoyable still. Maybe since the movie was somewhat successful it will spark a more rigorous one to me made.
Isn't Walter Lewin the MIT professor in the movie?

I agree with inha. As a physicist, I was utterly insulted by the movie. It bastardizes the basic principle of QM. Please read the various threads about the movie on PF. I know of no physicist who thinks this movie is even remotely accurate.

I hope this professor you gave the DVD to is more forgiving than I would have been.

Zz.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
I agree with inha. As a physicist, I was utterly insulted by the movie. It bastardizes the basic principle of QM. Please read the various threads about the movie on PF. I know of no physicist who thinks this movie is even remotely accurate.

I hope this professor you gave the DVD to is more forgiving that I would have been.

Zz.

I don't know anyone in anyway qualified to comment who thought it was a anything but a waste of time, and an insult. Very gald I never actually saw it.

z-component said:
My high school physics teacher is such a great teacher and an even greater person. All of his students absolutely love him and he loves teaching us. In a few weeks, it will be time to become seniors, and sadly, we'll have to plan days where we can only visit our old teachers just to say hello. I was thinking of some ways to show our appreciation for him. Perhaps myself and some of my friends would like to buy him something. I know it is materialistic to buy something to show our gratitude, and that it should be shown through words, but I think this guy merits a real gift.

Can anyone toss up some suggestions in the air as to what 2-3 people could buy that shows true appreciation?

Thanks in advance!

Take a picture of you and him together. Print an 8x10. On the back, write a simple, honest essay on what you have mentioned here. Tell him how much he has meant to you, and how much you want him to know that he is loved and appreciated. As a teacher, I can't think of a more wonderful feeling to know that what one has done is appreciated, especially when a student takes the time to write it down.

Don't buy expensive gifts, or things like that. It's nice, but he probably doesn't need another necktie, or a paper weight. As one grows up, one will tend to appreciated a lot more something that comes truly from the heart.

Zz.

z-component said:
My high school physics teacher is such a great teacher and an even greater person.
I'm curious, what made him a great teacher?

ZapperZ said:
I hope this professor you gave the DVD to is more forgiving than I would have been.

Zz.

I don't know if you need to forgive someone who gives you a gift with the best of intentions, however misguided they might be. It's the thought that counts.

juvenal said:
I don't know if you need to forgive someone who gives you a gift with the best of intentions, however misguided they might be. It's the thought that counts.

That would make me feel even worse if I were him.

I try to teach the students not just the subject matter, but also how to think analytically. Such skills are important not just in physics, but everywhere else. If one of my students think this movie is of any substance, it's obvious that I have failed, and failed miserably in my effort. As a teacher, I would rather have a student intentionally trying to "insult" me by giving me this movie. At the very least, in this case, he/she at least realized that he/she is giving me a "garbage physics" movie. Just by that alone, I'm happy to know that without them realizing it, they've learned something. As a teacher, it is never about me, but always about the student.

Zz.

I am finishg my junior year of high school and have a chemistry teacher who has been a HUGE help. He helped me get funded $1500 for a project I am doing, taught me a lot, and devotes a lot of time that he could be using for himself, rather than on me. He has helped me get a summer internship at RPI, and he has written me many letters of recomendation. So of course.. it is tough coming up with a gift which can even remotely explain my gratitude. Although I am constantly expessing my appreciation verbally and helping him out as well... I feel as though any gift will be an understatement to his efforts. He says that my acomplishments make it all worth it.. but I really want to give him something meaningful. A few weeks ago his wife gave birth to their first son, and of course he was/is very excited. His (the teacher) last name is Schmidt, and he named his son Harrison... well he let me know that there just so happens to be an astronaut named Harrison Schmitt, and he has been browsing ebay for pictures of him on the moon.. Well, thinking to myself, I thought it would be nice to get him a photo for his son.. I then thought, the astronaut is probably still alive! So after a little searching on google, I found his phone number and contact information. I called him up, explained the situation, and told him that it would mean a lot if I could get him to sign the photo I bought. Of course, the astronaut just so happens to tell me that he has stopped signing autographs because after 30 years it got to be too much, but he told me to try and send the photo and he will see what he can do.. So that was last week and I am still waiting for a reply, but if I get that back, I think it would make an excelent gift. So maybe try and see if your teacher has any heros or favorite phsysics or anything. I know that there is a lot of memorabilia out there on feynman and he had a huge impact on just about every physicist since his time, so maybe some video lectures or book or something? Either way, let me know what you end up deciding on, I like this post :)

Monique said:
I'm curious, what made him a great teacher?
Well, Monique. This guy is an amazing teacher. I've always been into science, so I know it's not just because of that. He's the caring grandfather type who puts his students way above himself. All of his students would agree that he's the nicest guy they've ever met. I think he's such a great guy because he's influenced me greatly. That's saying a lot, since no other teacher ever influenced me. If I ever became a teacher, I'd want to be just like him.

ZapperZ said:
Take a picture of you and him together. Print an 8x10. On the back, write a simple, honest essay on what you have mentioned here.
That's a very great idea, Zz. I will probably end up doing that before I leave this school, in addition to something I want to buy with one or two of my friends.

alex, that's a cool story! I hope everything works out for you.

Thanks for all the help you've all given me so far. :smile:

i love my physics teacher (not that way) i think i might write To the bestest teacher in the universe!(he's into all that spacy stuff. He wanted to work for nasa, aww ended up as an amazing teacher, with respect off all his students. hope he isn't too upset.) i saw this lil teddy bear with best teacher written on it in a shop i should have got it gunna have a look if its still there.
belle

1. How can showing appreciation for my influential teacher benefit me?

Showing appreciation for your influential teacher can benefit you in many ways. First and foremost, it can help strengthen your relationship with your teacher and create a positive learning environment. Your teacher may also be more likely to provide extra support and guidance to you, leading to academic success. Additionally, expressing gratitude can improve your overall well-being and happiness.

2. What are some ways I can show appreciation for my influential teacher?

There are many ways to show appreciation for your influential teacher. Some ideas include writing a heartfelt thank you note or letter, giving a small gift or token of appreciation, or simply saying thank you in person. You could also consider participating in a class project or activity that recognizes and celebrates your teacher's impact.

3. Is it important to show appreciation for influential teachers, even if they are no longer my current teacher?

Yes, it is still important to show appreciation for influential teachers, even if they are no longer your current teacher. Teachers often have a lasting impact on our lives and showing gratitude can mean a lot to them. It is also a great way to honor their dedication and hard work in shaping your education and future.

4. Can showing appreciation for influential teachers have a positive impact on the education system as a whole?

Yes, showing appreciation for influential teachers can have a positive impact on the education system as a whole. When students express gratitude for their teachers, it can boost teacher morale and motivation. This, in turn, can lead to better job satisfaction and retention rates among teachers, ultimately improving the quality of education for all students.

5. How can I encourage others to show appreciation for their influential teachers?

One way to encourage others to show appreciation for their influential teachers is to lead by example. Share your own experiences and the positive impact your teacher had on you. You could also organize a class or school-wide event to honor and celebrate teachers. Additionally, you can use social media or other platforms to spread awareness and encourage others to show gratitude for their teachers.