Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Info about sound waves?

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    Hopefully i am not wasting anyones time, as i dont know alot about sound waves etc.. but i was wondering if anyone could help. Is there such a thing that recieves sound waves of around 1100hz. maybe a sound receiver and emmitter? I have tried finding as much infomation online, but there is limited results. I know this may not be the 'normal type of question' but any info would help massively.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your ear, a microphone, a brick wall?
    Every object receives sound waves that reach it - not all of them do anything except absorb them.
    Do you want to detect 1100hz sound, detect only this frequency, block only this frequency or what?

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    Sorry, there was no clarity in what I was asking! But yer basically Is there a device that only picks up this frequency/only picks up this frequency and above! And displays in whichever means possible(a gragh, by a light bulb, etc...) if this frequency is heard!

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A tuning fork would respond to only one frequency (or at least a narrow band of frequencies )
    The easiest way is a microphone and either a computer and some software to pull out just that one frequency, or you can do it with an analog electronics filter.
    This is what the graphic equiliser on a hifi does.

6. Sep 28, 2009 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Many hand held acoustic analyzers will do what you are looking for as well. They will pick up all frequencies up to a certain limit and will have customizable displays that you can tailor to whatever you are looking for.

7. Sep 28, 2009 #6
    Hello Callumbrad-
    Here in thumbnail is a simple 1-opamp tuned narrowband amplifier that can be used with a microphone [STRIKE]or loudspeaker[/STRIKE] input. Voltage source V2 in circuit is a 1-millivolt signal that is swept from 500 Hz to 2000 Hz. The output signal is maximim at 1100 Hz, with an amplitude of 200 millivolts.
    [added] It is straight forward to ad an op-amp that lights a LED if the sound signal level exceeds a threshold at the output of this circuit.
    [added2] The LT1014 is equivalent to the LM324.
    Bob S

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook