Discover the Fascinating World of Sound Waves | Exploring 1100hz Frequencies

In summary: There is no "device" that only picks up or only picks up frequencies above 1100hz. Sound waves of that frequency will be absorbed by any object they hit, including your ear.
callumbrad128
Hopefully i am not wasting anyones time, as i don't know a lot about sound waves etc.. but i was wondering if anyone could help. Is there such a thing that receives sound waves of around 1100hz. maybe a sound receiver and emmitter? I have tried finding as much infomation online, but there is limited results. I know this may not be the 'normal type of question' but any info would help massively.

Physics news on Phys.org
callumbrad128 said:
Is there such a thing that receives sound waves of around 1100hz.
Your ear, a microphone, a brick wall?
Every object receives sound waves that reach it - not all of them do anything except absorb them.
Do you want to detect 1100hz sound, detect only this frequency, block only this frequency or what?

Sorry, there was no clarity in what I was asking! But yer basically Is there a device that only picks up this frequency/only picks up this frequency and above! And displays in whichever means possible(a gragh, by a light bulb, etc...) if this frequency is heard!

A tuning fork would respond to only one frequency (or at least a narrow band of frequencies )
The easiest way is a microphone and either a computer and some software to pull out just that one frequency, or you can do it with an analog electronics filter.
This is what the graphic equiliser on a hifi does.

Many hand held acoustic analyzers will do what you are looking for as well. They will pick up all frequencies up to a certain limit and will have customizable displays that you can tailor to whatever you are looking for.

Hello Callumbrad-
Here in thumbnail is a simple 1-opamp tuned narrowband amplifier that can be used with a microphone [STRIKE]or loudspeaker[/STRIKE] input. Voltage source V2 in circuit is a 1-millivolt signal that is swept from 500 Hz to 2000 Hz. The output signal is maximim at 1100 Hz, with an amplitude of 200 millivolts.
[added] It is straight forward to ad an op-amp that lights a LED if the sound signal level exceeds a threshold at the output of this circuit.
[added2] The LT1014 is equivalent to the LM324.
Bob S

Attachments

• 1100_Hz_filter.jpg
    1100_Hz_filter.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:

1. What are sound waves and how do they work?

Sound waves are vibrations that travel through a medium, such as air or water, and are perceived by our ears as sound. They are created when an object vibrates, causing molecules in the medium to vibrate and transfer energy from one molecule to the next.

2. What is the frequency of 1100hz?

1100hz is a measure of the pitch or tone of a sound wave. It refers to the number of waves that pass a fixed point in one second. In simpler terms, it determines how high or low a sound is perceived by the human ear. 1100hz is considered to be a relatively high frequency compared to the range of human hearing, which is typically between 20hz and 20,000hz.

3. How can sound waves impact our daily lives?

Sound waves have a significant impact on our daily lives. They allow us to communicate with others through speech and language, enjoy music, and hear important warning signals. Additionally, sound waves are used in various technologies, such as ultrasound machines, sonar, and cell phones.

4. What are some interesting facts about sound waves?

One interesting fact about sound waves is that they can travel through different mediums at different speeds. For example, sound waves travel faster through solids than liquids or gases. Another interesting fact is that sound waves cannot travel through a vacuum, which is why sound cannot be heard in outer space. Lastly, sound waves can also be reflected, refracted, and diffracted, just like light waves.

5. How can we use sound waves for scientific purposes?

Sound waves are used in many scientific fields for various purposes. In medicine, they are used for imaging purposes, such as in ultrasounds and MRI scans. In engineering, sound waves are used for testing and measuring structures, such as bridges and buildings. Additionally, sound waves are used in seismology to study earthquakes and in astronomy to study the composition of stars and planets.