Info on embry-riddle uni

• Thread starter Latecomer
  • Start date
I'm vacationing east of Orlando (brought my son to visit Kennedy Space Center and a bit of beach time).
I found out that Embry-Riddle is near to the space center. Is this a well regarded school? I haven't heard of it before.
They apparently specialize in aerospace engineering, which I'm interested in, but they also offer an Engineering Physics degree, which I know is often subject to scrutiny since it's not quite one or the other, but it just sounds perfect for people who can't quite make up their minds.
Does anyone have any input about this school, especially the engineering physics degree?
I'm set to transfer from my community college soon, and this school seems interesting.

Answers and Replies

I am prior military, based out of Florida, and I really only have little experience with that school. When I was first starting college, I found that they were willing to give me the most credit for my military coursework (which even I must admit was sub par). It seemed to me like they were more interested in wooing people with flashy air shows and admitting as many career military people as possible whom all sought the quickest degree possible and hoped to learn nothing by it.

That being said, I am told they have a great Air Traffic Control training program, and the flight school is very famous, but I don't know if I would consider engineering or physics there without first really looking into the school.

It's also insanely overpriced. I mean really overpriced.

all sought the quickest degree possible and hoped to learn nothing by it.

Not true.

and the flight school is very famous, but I don't know if I would consider engineering or physics there without first really looking into the school.

Good point

It's also insanely overpriced. I mean really overpriced.

True.

Latecomer, Erau's EP program specializes mainly in atmospheric studies and is pretty small. Nothing to write home about. Although, the department does boast a 100% employment rate.

If you're gonna go all the way to Riddle, your best bet is the AE degree. The students from that degree are up there with those from MIT and Georgia Tech.

Hi latecomer - I work at Embry-Riddle's Daytona Beach campus so can tell you that the Engineering Physics program is a great one - it's the largest of its kind in the nation and it's ABET accredited. Do be sure to look for that accreditatation at all the programs you explore, it's very important. This major is only offered at our Daytona Beach campus and we also offer a master's and PhD in the subject (there's also an accelerated program so you can get your bachelor's and your master's in a shorter period of time. It's true that we're most well known for our aeropsace engineering programs, but some students really prefer the space focus of the engineering physics major. I suggest you explore or ERAU web site or, better yet, come by the school and see for yourself. It's worth the time.