Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Information about Chromosomes

1. Feb 13, 2005 #1
    Hey all. I'm looking for a good source of general information about specific human chromosomes, such as what % of the chromosome is composed of genes, telomeres and centromere region, and what % is silent. The resources I have found thus far (like Genome on the PubMed site) have had great information about where specific genes are, but I just can't find what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2005 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At the bottom of the page there is further reading material that should contain that kind of information http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genome/seq/ the Feb 15th 2001 article of Nature, and the article in Science are free for everyone to download.

4. Feb 13, 2005 #3
    Thanks. Hopefully that should give me what I need.

5. Feb 14, 2005 #4

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

If you're a student or researcher in need of this information for purely academic reasons, you can download up to 1 megabase per week of the Celera human genome for free. You can register here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?