1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Information about Chromosomes

1. Feb 13, 2005 #1
    Hey all. I'm looking for a good source of general information about specific human chromosomes, such as what % of the chromosome is composed of genes, telomeres and centromere region, and what % is silent. The resources I have found thus far (like Genome on the PubMed site) have had great information about where specific genes are, but I just can't find what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2005 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At the bottom of the page there is further reading material that should contain that kind of information http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genome/seq/ the Feb 15th 2001 article of Nature, and the article in Science are free for everyone to download.

4. Feb 13, 2005 #3
    Thanks. Hopefully that should give me what I need.

5. Feb 14, 2005 #4

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

If you're a student or researcher in need of this information for purely academic reasons, you can download up to 1 megabase per week of the Celera human genome for free. You can register here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?