Exploring the Higgs Boson: Understanding its Importance and Implications

In summary: Higgs boson.In summary, the Higgs Boson is a particle that gives mass to other particles and is essential to understanding the physical universe. It is found in the Standard Model, which is a model of the physical universe that scientists are still working to improve.
Beer w/Straw
Hi, I haven't been following the search for the higgs boson and what it could actually mean to our understanding of the physical universe.

The only fleeting thought I had was that if it gives mass to matter, it can lead to an understanding of gravity on an intrinsic level.

Instead of fishing around news articles, and I assume since the scientists aren't ready to publish final conclusions, where can I start to look for good sources of information?

Should I examine standard model and go from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot tell you how reliable the information of this website is due to the fact that it is my only source of information on science news but "Phys.org" just posted something about the Higgs boson.

The Higgs gives mass to particles, yes, in the sense that you impose certain symmetries that you want to have in your system but the a mass term would break this symmetry. So you introduce the Higgs to do precisely this: break the symmetry, give mass to particles. The thing is, the Higgs gives mass to particles via the potential it has as interacting with itself. So all it does is to pass energy to mass, which are the same thing in the end anyway! So it does not give any fundamental proposition on gravity or the character of mass as a physical quantity.

You should definately start with the standard model, yes.

kevinferreira said:
You should definately start with the standard model, yes.

What is the "standard model" you guys mentioned?

1. What is the Higgs Boson?

The Higgs Boson is a subatomic particle that was first theorized in the 1960s by physicist Peter Higgs. It is a fundamental particle that is believed to give other particles mass through the Higgs field.

2. How was the Higgs Boson discovered?

The Higgs Boson was discovered in 2012 by the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. Scientists observed the particle's existence by analyzing data from high-energy collisions within the LHC.

3. Why is the Higgs Boson important?

The Higgs Boson is important because it helps explain how particles acquire mass, which is a fundamental property of matter. Its discovery also confirmed the validity of the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. What are the implications of the Higgs Boson discovery?

The discovery of the Higgs Boson has opened up new possibilities for studying the fundamental nature of the universe. It has also sparked new research in areas such as dark matter and supersymmetry.

5. How does the Higgs Boson relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Higgs Boson plays a crucial role in the Big Bang theory. It is believed that after the Big Bang, the universe consisted of a hot and dense soup of particles that did not have mass. As the universe cooled, the Higgs field turned on, giving particles mass and allowing them to form the structures we see today.