Information on photo-dissociation and co2

In summary, for more in-depth information on the photodissociation of CO2 and its related processes, you can consult books and scientific papers available online through various sources such as Google Scholar, PubMed, and ArXiv.
nemesiswes
Hi, I have been reading up on photo-dissociation of CO2 and I all I can find is wiki and a couple other sources. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good sources of information on photo-dissociation of co2. Like on what wavelengths of EM are best and the energy needed to cause the breaking of the Carbon and Oxygen bonds. Or at-least how would I go about figuring out how much energy is needed to break them into C + 2O, from that I could figure out how much energy a photon or multiples of photons would need to cause the breaking of the bonds.

On wiki it says at the bottom of the page in Atmospheric Gamma Ray Bursts, that gamma ray burst's can produce gamma rays capable of photo-dissociation of CO2 into C + 2O

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photodissociation

I am looking for more detailed information than just that.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can find detailed information on the photodissociation of CO2 in the literature, such as in the book "Photochemistry and Photobiology of Atmospheric Molecules" edited by R.C. Whitten. It contains several chapters dedicated to the photodissociation of CO2 and related topics. Additionally, there are many scientific papers available online which investigate the photodissociation of CO2 and its related processes. Some good places to search for these papers include Google Scholar, PubMed, and ArXiv.

1. What is photo-dissociation and how does it relate to CO2?

Photo-dissociation is a process in which a molecule is broken down into smaller components due to exposure to light. In the context of CO2, photo-dissociation occurs when light from the sun interacts with CO2 molecules in the Earth's atmosphere, causing them to split into carbon monoxide (CO) and atomic oxygen (O). This process is important in the Earth's climate system as it helps regulate the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

2. How does photo-dissociation affect the Earth's climate?

The photo-dissociation of CO2 plays a significant role in regulating the amount of CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere. When CO2 molecules are broken down, the resulting atomic oxygen can combine with other oxygen molecules to form ozone (O3). Ozone is a key component of the Earth's atmosphere as it helps absorb harmful UV radiation from the sun. Additionally, the process of photo-dissociation removes CO2 from the atmosphere, which helps to mitigate the greenhouse effect and regulate the Earth's temperature.

3. What factors can influence the rate of photo-dissociation of CO2?

The rate of photo-dissociation of CO2 can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the intensity and wavelength of light, the concentration of other molecules in the atmosphere (such as water vapor), and the temperature and pressure of the surrounding environment. Additionally, the presence of certain catalysts, such as dust particles, can enhance the rate of photo-dissociation.

4. How does the photo-dissociation of CO2 impact the carbon cycle?

The photo-dissociation of CO2 is an important process in the carbon cycle as it helps regulate the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. As mentioned, the process removes CO2 from the atmosphere, which helps to mitigate the greenhouse effect and regulate the Earth's temperature. Additionally, the resulting carbon monoxide (CO) can react with other molecules in the atmosphere to form various compounds, which can then be incorporated into the Earth's biosphere through photosynthesis.

5. Is photo-dissociation of CO2 a natural process or is it influenced by human activities?

The photo-dissociation of CO2 is a natural process that has been occurring in the Earth's atmosphere for millions of years. However, human activities, such as the burning of fossil fuels, have significantly increased the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, which can impact the rate of photo-dissociation. Additionally, human activities that contribute to air pollution, such as the emission of sulfur dioxide (SO2), can also influence the rate of photo-dissociation by altering the concentration of other molecules in the atmosphere.