Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Information Technology and the Future of Cities

1. Jan 16, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www-agecon.ag.ohio-state.edu/class/AEDE680/Irwin/pdf/60.pdf

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2005 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I don't believe it. As long as I have been an adult I have seen repeated predictions that some new technology would replace face-to-face communications and hierarchical structures with distributed centerless networks. This started back in the late 40's with the video phone, which was gong to take over the world. It never happened; humans are a band oriented species; we like close contact and hierarchies. Thanks to minds, individuals can buck this default, but the greater number will accede to it.

4. Jan 16, 2005 #3
    In fact it started even before that, people were saying the same thing about the ordinary telephone, and perhaps even with those morse code devices.
    Things like shopping will continue to draw people and give employment. Note that internet based shopping was supposed to take most of the business from the high street, but now people prefer to see/ touch the garments they are buying.

5. Aug 22, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By chance I discovered that this thread was accidentally locked long ago, so I opened it and am bumping it up for anyone who is interested.

6. Aug 22, 2007 #5
    lol. Nice catch?

I don't think cities are a solution to an information problem. It's a goods problem. And until we develop really cheap teleportation, that's not gonna change.

7. Sep 7, 2007 #6
    cheap and fast. until robots can fix your plumbing problems, time required for transit is going to be a big issue. same for health care and entertainment such as live music, bars and restaurants.

8. Aug 18, 2009 #7
  9. Aug 19, 2009 #8
    Energy constraints will apply equaly to expanding the internet as travel. More dense cities are quite likely to be on the way back, some geographers note a trend among young couples to move into more dense city center areas due to the bull run on oil prices during the past 8 years.

Increasing the flow of information will have to be more energy efficient than present if it is to continue increasing.

10. Apr 20, 2011 #9
    I agree, we like the face to face, but it's no doubt that new technologies have taken away some tof this time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?