Information Technology and the Future of Cities

In summary: information technology and the future of cities will have to be more energy efficient in order to continue increasing the flow of information.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Information Technology and the Future of Cities
Will improvements in information technology eliminate face-to-face interactions and make cities obsolete? In this paper, we present a model where people make contacts and choose a mode of interaction: meeting face-to-face or communicating electronically. Cities are a means of reducing the fixed travel costs involved in face-to-face interactions. When telecommunications technology improves, there will be two opposing effects on cities and face-to-face interactions. First, some relationships that would have been face-to-face will be conducted electronically. Second, the increase in frequency of contact between individuals caused by improvements in telecommunications technology may result in more face-to-face interactions. If the second effect dominates, telecommunications improvements will complement both face-to-face interactions and cities. Our empirical work suggests that telecommunications may be a complement to, or at least not a strong substitute for, cities and face-to-face interactions. Q 1998 Academic [continued]
http://www-agecon.ag.ohio-state.edu/class/AEDE680/Irwin/pdf/60.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't believe it. As long as I have been an adult I have seen repeated predictions that some new technology would replace face-to-face communications and hierarchical structures with distributed centerless networks. This started back in the late 40's with the video phone, which was gong to take over the world. It never happened; humans are a band oriented species; we like close contact and hierarchies. Thanks to minds, individuals can buck this default, but the greater number will accede to it.

selfAdjoint said:
I don't believe it. As long as I have been an adult I have seen repeated predictions that some new technology would replace face-to-face communications and hierarchical structures with distributed centerless networks. This started back in the late 40's with the video phone, which was gong to take over the world. It never happened; humans are a band oriented species; we like close contact and hierarchies. Thanks to minds, individuals can buck this default, but the greater number will accede to it.

In fact it started even before that, people were saying the same thing about the ordinary telephone, and perhaps even with those morse code devices.
Things like shopping will continue to draw people and give employment. Note that internet based shopping was supposed to take most of the business from the high street, but now people prefer to see/ touch the garments they are buying.

By chance I discovered that this thread was accidentally locked long ago, so I opened it and am bumping it up for anyone who is interested.

lol. Nice catch?

I don't think cities are a solution to an information problem. It's a goods problem. And until we develop really cheap teleportation, that's not going to change.

Smurf said:
lol. Nice catch?

I don't think cities are a solution to an information problem. It's a goods problem. And until we develop really cheap teleportation, that's not going to change.

cheap and fast. until robots can fix your plumbing problems, time required for transit is going to be a big issue. same for health care and entertainment such as live music, bars and restaurants.

Energy constraints will apply equaly to expanding the internet as travel. More dense cities are quite likely to be on the way back, some geographers note a trend among young couples to move into more dense city center areas due to the bull run on oil prices during the past 8 years.

Increasing the flow of information will have to be more energy efficient than present if it is to continue increasing.

selfAdjoint said:
I don't believe it. As long as I have been an adult I have seen repeated predictions that some new technology would replace face-to-face http://www.3gcgroup.com" [Broken] and hierarchical structures with distributed centerless networks. This started back in the late 40's with the video phone, which was gong to take over the world. It never happened; humans are a band oriented species; we like close contact and hierarchies. Thanks to minds, individuals can buck this default, but the greater number will accede to it.

I agree, we like the face to face, but it's no doubt that new technologies have taken away some tof this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is information technology and how does it impact cities?

Information technology (IT) refers to the use of computers and telecommunications to store, retrieve, transmit, and manipulate data. IT has a significant impact on cities by enabling faster communication, improving efficiency and productivity, and providing access to a wealth of information.

How will information technology shape the future of cities?

The future of cities will be heavily influenced by information technology. With the increasing use of smart devices and the Internet of Things, cities will become more connected and efficient. This will lead to improvements in transportation, healthcare, energy usage, and overall quality of life for residents.

What are some potential challenges that may arise with the integration of information technology in cities?

As with any new technology, there are potential challenges that may arise with the integration of information technology in cities. These include issues with data privacy and security, the digital divide between those who have access to technology and those who do not, and the potential for job displacement as automation and artificial intelligence become more prevalent.

How can cities prepare for the future of information technology?

Cities can prepare for the future of information technology by investing in infrastructure that supports IT, creating policies and regulations to address potential challenges, and promoting digital literacy and education for all residents. It is also important for cities to collaborate with technology companies and experts to stay updated on the latest advancements and opportunities.

What are some examples of how information technology is currently being used in cities?

Information technology is currently being used in cities in various ways. Some examples include smart transportation systems that use data to improve traffic flow, smart energy grids that optimize energy usage, and smart waste management systems that track and optimize waste collection. Other examples include the use of data analytics to improve city planning and the implementation of e-government services for residents to access information and services online.