Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Information technology.

1. Dec 11, 2007 #1
    Hi ,

How are you??

I would like to inquire about these questions:

what is Information technology??

What is the difference between information technology and Information system??

What is the most company need:Information technology-computer science-Information System-MIS??

Please help me

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2
    Please give me your opinion

4. Dec 12, 2007 #3
    Depends what you want to do....

Information Systems Technology(IST)/Management Information Systems (MIS) are "easier" majors than Computer Science.

MIS you can get more into a mangement position like business anlaysis/project manager so good money there but if you dont get the right skills/contacts you'll be in a more low level paying bracket from what I've seen/heard from my friends, same with IST, if you get into the right company you'll be fine but if your up against a Comp Sci major, your in trouble.

Really it depends on the school on the definition of IT/IST/MIS
    In general IT/IST is more like web design/network admin
    MIS is more business oriented but still gives you expeirence in programming
    Comp Sci is more hardcore programming/design/some CE/EE as well <--- youll have most options as a comp sci
    A Comp Sci can do a MIS/IST/IT job easier than a the other way around but if it was up to me and pay wasn't an issue I'd rather do IST/MIS because they do more hands on programming and less theory.

But it seems like in the real world you'll see comp sci's as the programmers/software architects and IST majors doing more trouble shooting hardware/setting up servers (more like a tech guy)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook