1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Information technology.

1. Dec 11, 2007 #1
    Hi ,

How are you??

I would like to inquire about these questions:

what is Information technology??

What is the difference between information technology and Information system??

What is the most company need:Information technology-computer science-Information System-MIS??

Please help me
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2
    Please give me your opinion
  4. Dec 12, 2007 #3
    Depends what you want to do....

Information Systems Technology(IST)/Management Information Systems (MIS) are "easier" majors than Computer Science.

MIS you can get more into a mangement position like business anlaysis/project manager so good money there but if you dont get the right skills/contacts you'll be in a more low level paying bracket from what I've seen/heard from my friends, same with IST, if you get into the right company you'll be fine but if your up against a Comp Sci major, your in trouble.

Really it depends on the school on the definition of IT/IST/MIS
    In general IT/IST is more like web design/network admin
    MIS is more business oriented but still gives you expeirence in programming
    Comp Sci is more hardcore programming/design/some CE/EE as well <--- youll have most options as a comp sci
    A Comp Sci can do a MIS/IST/IT job easier than a the other way around but if it was up to me and pay wasn't an issue I'd rather do IST/MIS because they do more hands on programming and less theory.

But it seems like in the real world you'll see comp sci's as the programmers/software architects and IST majors doing more trouble shooting hardware/setting up servers (more like a tech guy)
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?