Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Information Teleportation

1. Oct 5, 2006 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2006 #2
    Pretty cool, but ill be impressed when they can do an object, then it will really take off.

4. Oct 5, 2006 #3
  5. Oct 5, 2006 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

6. Oct 5, 2006 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

gelsamel, it says they teleported information half a meter

7. Oct 5, 2006 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The reporter who wrote the article misunderstood what the scientist was saying. Read what the scientist was saying. The scientist does not say that matter itself was teleported.

8. Oct 5, 2006 #7
    Right but they still teleported information. How do they get around wave function collapse and Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

~Gelsamel

9. Oct 5, 2006 #8
    They finessed their way around all that. The article descibes how, in a nutshell.

10. Oct 5, 2006 #9
    Opening sentence, Is that a joke? Do they know the meaning of the words they use?

When i was at uni, that was called absorption.....

I dont know if im gonna bother reading the rest....

11. Oct 5, 2006 #10
    I don't see anything concerning the Uncertainty principle. It says how they got around Wave function collapse just by being "carefull".

Thats all I see though.

~Gelsamel

12. Oct 6, 2006 #11
    From the Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle

"Prior to the publication of the EPR paper in 1935, a measurement was often visualized as a physical disturbance inflicted directly on the measured system, being sometimes illustrated as a thought experiment called Heisenberg's microscope. For instance, when measuring the position of an electron, one imagines shining a light on it, thus disturbing the electron and producing the quantum mechanical uncertainties in its position. Such explanations, which are still encountered in popular expositions of quantum mechanics, are debunked by the EPR paradox, which shows that a "measurement" can be performed on a particle without disturbing it directly, by performing a measurement on a distant entangled particle."

From your article:

"Because measuring any quantum state destroys it, that information cannot simply be measured and copied. Researchers have long known that this obstacle can be finessed by a process called teleportation, but they had only demonstrated this method between light beams or between atoms.

"In taking the next step, Eugene Polzik and his colleagues at the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen shined a strong laser beam onto a cloud of..." And so on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?