Informational Interview on Mechanical Engineering - Ryan

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter rraffaelli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary, a student named Ryan is seeking answers to several questions for an informational interview on mechanical engineering for his college career planning class. He is asking for the name of the company, the respondent's first name, and their email address if they prefer to communicate that way. Some questions he would like answers to include how the respondent became interested in this career, what a typical day looks like, the necessary education and training, required skills, and the best way to start a career in this field. Ryan is also curious about the job demand, potential changes in the field, and advice for someone interested in this occupation. He is open to talking to other people or researching additional resources. However, the respondent apologizes and explains that the forum no
rraffaelli
Hi, my name is Ryan and I need to do an informational interview on mechanical engineering for my college career planning class.

If anyone that is already in this career has time to answer as many of the following quesitons possible it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you could give me the name of the company you work for and at least your first name..however, I completely understand if you do not want to give out that information on this forum. If it would be any easier, my email address is ballerforlife12@live.com, please fill free to email me instead.

1. How did you become interested in this occupation?

2. What do you do on a typical day?

3. How did you prepare for your occupation (education, training, etc.)?

4. What skills are needed for this occupation?

5. Are there any specific courses a student might take that would be particularly beneficial in this field?

6. What do you like best about your job?

7. What do you like least about your job?

8. How much time do you spend at work?

9. What are the starting and average pay scales for people in your occupation?

10. Is there a demand for people in this field?

11. How do you see the jobs in this field changing over the next few years?

12. What would be the best way to obtain a position which will start me on a career in this field?

13. How does recruiting and hiring currently take place in this field?

14. What special advice would you give someone interested in this field?

15. Is there someone else I could talk to or other resources I could research about work in this occupation?

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out, I very much appreciate it!

-Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, Ryan. We no longer allow interview threads like this at the PF. There were issues with identity mining and privacy problems.

Dear Ryan,

Thank you for reaching out to me for an informational interview on mechanical engineering. My name is [Name], and I have been working in this field for [number] years at [Company Name]. I am happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability and provide insights into this career path.

1. I have always been interested in how things work and how they are made. This curiosity led me to pursue a degree in mechanical engineering, and I have been passionate about it ever since.

2. On a typical day, I work on various projects, from designing and testing new products to troubleshooting and improving existing ones. I also collaborate with other engineers and team members to brainstorm and come up with innovative solutions.

3. I obtained a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering from [University Name]. This provided me with a strong foundation in math, science, and engineering principles. I also completed internships and participated in hands-on projects to gain practical experience.

4. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are essential for this occupation. Attention to detail, creativity, and communication skills are also crucial in working effectively with a team.

5. Some courses that would be beneficial for a student interested in this field include calculus, physics, materials science, and computer-aided design (CAD).

6. The best part of my job is being able to see my designs come to life and make a positive impact in the world. It's rewarding to know that my work contributes to improving people's lives.

7. Sometimes, projects can be challenging, and it can be frustrating when things don't go as planned. However, these challenges also push me to think outside the box and come up with innovative solutions.

8. On average, I spend about 40-45 hours a week at work. However, depending on project deadlines, this can vary.

9. The starting salary for a mechanical engineer can range from $60,000 to $70,000 per year, while the average salary is around $85,000 per year.

10. Yes, there is a high demand for mechanical engineers in various industries, including automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing.

11. With advancements in technology, I see more opportunities for mechanical engineers to work on cutting-edge projects and incorporate new technologies into their designs.

12. Networking and gaining relevant experience through internships or co-op programs are great ways to start a career in this field. It's also important to continuously update your skills and knowledge through professional development

1. What inspired you to become a mechanical engineer?

I have always been fascinated by how things work, and I loved math and physics in school. Combining my interests with my skills, I knew that pursuing a career in mechanical engineering would be the perfect fit for me.

2. Can you walk us through your typical work day as a mechanical engineer?

As a mechanical engineer, my workday starts with checking and responding to emails and attending any scheduled meetings. The rest of my day is usually spent designing and analyzing mechanical systems, collaborating with other team members, and conducting experiments or tests. I also spend a lot of time researching new technologies and techniques to improve our designs.

3. What is the most challenging aspect of being a mechanical engineer?

The most challenging aspect is finding the balance between creativity and practicality in my designs. While it's important to think outside the box and come up with innovative solutions, it's also crucial to consider the limitations and constraints of real-world applications.

4. What advice would you give to someone interested in pursuing a career in mechanical engineering?

I would advise them to focus on developing a strong foundation in math, physics, and computer-aided design. It's also essential to gain hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs to understand the practical aspect of engineering. And most importantly, always be curious and never stop learning.

5. How do you see the future of mechanical engineering evolving?

I believe that the future of mechanical engineering will involve more advanced technologies, such as artificial intelligence and robotics. With the increasing demand for sustainable and eco-friendly solutions, we will also see a shift towards green engineering and renewable energy sources. It's an exciting time to be a mechanical engineer, and I am excited to see where the field will take us in the future.