1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infra rays question

1. Oct 20, 2004 #1
    which one's infra rays wavelength are longer, sun or human body?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "infra" rays?? The only "infra" I know applied to wavelength is infrared radiation which has a fixed range of wavelengths no matter where it comes from.

4. Oct 20, 2004 #3
    infra-red rays

Waves are basically classified on the basis of wavelength ( or frequency ). Infra-red rays is the name for the rays having a particular range for wavelengths. So, it doesn't matter what the source of the rays is. If the wavelength falls in the range, they are called infra-red rays.

spacetime
    www.geocities.com/physics_all/index.html

5. Oct 20, 2004 #4
    This sounds like one of those "flawed" questions that come from a lower-level (elementary or junior high) textbooks. I'm guessing that what the question is getting at is:
    "which produces more high-energy infra-red rays, the sun or a human body." I'm sure you could guess which one.

THen, what you need to know is that "high energy" infra-red is "shorter wavelength" infra red. Take it from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?