1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infrared for detection of human presence

1. Jun 14, 2009 #1
    Working on a project plan was to use infrared sensors to get a straight infrared reading within a viewing angle since I don't want to detect motion but merely know if there is a warm body or not, human or otherwise. I thought infrared went through cloth, but testing the sensors I bought holding a few pieces of cloth over my hand the voltage reading drops very low.

I thought maybe someone here could point me to some literature on human detection or more complex use of infrared. I did some basic research on distance or pressure sensing but since this is detection of someone in a bed infrared seemed like the least complex and less prone to false positives. Yes a pet could set it off, but with weight and distance a piece of luggage could as well.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted