1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infrared laser question

Tags:
  1. Oct 26, 2014 #1
    I am thinking about a possible experiment, and would like to measure the temperature of gas in various places inside of a glass enclosure. Is it possible to use an infrared laser to this? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2014 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Does the gas you are interested in have different IR wavelength absorption characteristics as a function of temperature, or does it scatter IR light well? Is the mass and composition of the gas known?

4. Oct 26, 2014 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not sure what you mean by "infrared laser" or how you think that will give you a measure of the temperature. Could you mean the non-contact IR thermometers that are being sold commercially? If you really, truly mean an IR laser, please be aware of a safety hazard with such a device, especially to your eyes.

You also need to make sure that if you are using such a device that the window of the vessel containing the gas is IR transparent. Otherwise, you measure a nonsensical number.

Zz.

5. Oct 27, 2014 #4
    Thanks for the replies, sorry I am a little late here... I am curious about testing hydrogen gas. I was thinking about the infra red non contact thermometers, yes, you are right Zapper Z. But I think those can only be measured on a surface, is that correct? If I used a real IR laser, could it read a certain point and a certain depth inside the glass? I am thinking about a low density gas.

6. Oct 28, 2014 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

IR thermometers detect infrared radiation, IR lasers emit infrared radiation.

Hydrogen gas basically neither absorbs nor emits in the infrared part of the spectrum.

7. Oct 28, 2014 #6
    Dr. Claude, thank you for posting... !!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook