Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infrared receiver low output range. Anything wrong?

1. Apr 17, 2010 #1
    Hello Experts,

I was sold a pair of 5mm transparent lens infrared transmitter and receiver LEDs.

The look the same.

I tested and the transmitter does glows infrared light.
    I measured the Receiver LED on a voltmeter and found that the transmitted infrared generates a very low voltage of max 0.9mV in the Receiver. When object not near or infront of the pair, the receiver voltage is about 0.2mV lower.

My problem is I am not sure is this the proper operating performance.
    What i was told was the receiver is a BP103. I came home and searched the net to find that the BP103 should have 3 pins and is embedded with a transistor for amplification. What i got appears to be a normal 5mm LED and i could not see any transistor nor the 3rd pin!

So, i just like to get some clues what sort of infrared receiver i got from the shop and is it a real infrared receiver and is the output voltage normal?

If so, i am not sure how to manipulate the output voltage range that is so short. I feel that the detection may be too sensitive to be useful.

Thank you for reading.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted