Sending InfraRed Signal to RS 232: Circuit Requirements

• Thread starter N468989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infrared
In summary, to transmit a signal over InfraRed, you will need a circuit consisting of an IR photodiode, a phototransistor, a resistor to set the current, and a power supply. It is recommended to use components with built-in schmitt triggers for better performance. Alternatively, you can purchase a converter, but make sure it is compatible with your equipment.
N468989
does anyone know how what type of circuit i need to transmit a signal over InfraRed. the signal i want to transmit is for example one byte -> 1010 1010

the byte sent will be sent to a RS 232 port

i have a shift register with the data ready to be sent

i know that i need a IR photodiode and a phototransistor

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Tko.
I have no clue about your problem, but it might be better suited to the Electrical Engineering section.

tko_gx said:
does anyone know how what type of circuit i need to transmit a signal over InfraRed. the signal i want to transmit is for example one byte -> 1010 1010

the byte sent will be sent to a RS 232 port

i have a shift register with the data ready to be sent

i know that i need a IR photodiode and a phototransistor

Basically, that is ALL you need (you will also need a resistor to set the current; and a power-supply). However, make sure you get components with built in schmitt triggers (which means that the dioded will either be "on" or "off").

However, for any serious work you are better off buying a converter; they are not very expensive.
Also, note that not all types of equipment work with all converters. They are basically equivalent to a null-modem with only Tx, Rx and GND connected; some equipment requires more connections.

1. What is an InfraRed Signal?

An InfraRed (IR) Signal is an electromagnetic wave with a wavelength longer than that of visible light, but shorter than radio waves. It is commonly used for remote controls, communication between devices, and data transfer.

2. How does InfraRed Signal work for RS 232 communication?

In order to send an IR signal to RS 232, you will need an IR transmitter and an RS 232 converter. The IR transmitter converts the digital signal into an IR signal, which is then received by the converter and converted back into a digital signal that can be understood by the RS 232 device.

3. What are the circuit requirements for sending InfraRed Signal to RS 232?

The circuit requirements for sending InfraRed Signal to RS 232 include an IR transmitter and an RS 232 converter, as well as a power source, appropriate wiring, and proper connections between the devices. The specific circuit requirements may vary depending on the specific devices being used.

4. Can any device be used as an IR transmitter for this process?

No, not all devices can be used as an IR transmitter for sending InfraRed Signal to RS 232. It is important to use a device that is specifically designed for this purpose, as it will ensure proper functionality and compatibility with the RS 232 device.

5. Is it possible to send InfraRed Signal to RS 232 without a converter?

No, a converter is essential for sending InfraRed Signal to RS 232. The converter is responsible for converting the IR signal back into a digital signal that can be understood by the RS 232 device. Without a converter, the RS 232 device will not be able to receive and interpret the IR signal.