Understanding Infrared Spectroscopy: Analysis of a Recorded Spectrum

In summary, Alain is requesting help with finding a gas specie overlapping CO2 in a recorded spectrum. They have used a 35m gas cell of borosilicate and have corrected the data using different reference gases. The recorded spectrum is one of 10 from different samples collected for quality tests, with constant pressure and temperature. Other samples from various locations do not show this absorbance feature, and the sample in question also contains Ethane, Methane, Propane, IsoButane, n-Butane, and Ethanol.
Alain Ferbere
I do attach a plot (pdf and Matlab) of a recorded spectrum where I do not manage to find the gas specie overlapping CO2

Could you help me?

Best Alain

Attachments

• Spec Pors1.pdf
    63.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Spec Pors1.docx
    44.3 KB · Views: 204
Science news on Phys.org
One question I have is if you had the gas in some kind of glass container, did you correct your data for spectral runs with the glass, with and without the gas inside?

Charles Link said:
One question I have is if you had the gas in some kind of glass container, did you correct your data for spectral runs with the glass, with and without the gas inside?
Yes, I am using a 35m gas cell of borosilicate and I am corrected the data by using different reference gases (H2 6.0 and He 6.0). This recorded spectrum is only one of 10 different spectra from different samples collected for quality tests. I am keeping the pressure and the temperature constant at respectively 1000 mbar and 320 K during the measurements. All other samples, from various locations (H2 storage facilities) are not showing this special absorbance and it's the first time I have observed this absorbance feature. The other species present in this sample are 340 ppm Ethane, 14 ppm Methane and traces of Propane, IsoButane n-Butane and Ethanol. Regards, Alain

1. What is infrared spectroscopy?

Infrared spectroscopy is a technique used to identify and analyze the chemical bonds and functional groups present in a sample. It measures the absorption of infrared light by a substance, which can provide information about the molecular structure and composition of the sample.

2. How is an infrared spectrum recorded?

An infrared spectrum is recorded by passing a beam of infrared light through a sample and measuring the amount of light absorbed at different wavelengths. The resulting spectrum is a graph of the intensity of light absorbed versus the wavelength of light.

3. What information can be obtained from an infrared spectrum?

An infrared spectrum can provide information about the types of chemical bonds present in a sample, the functional groups present, and the overall molecular structure of the sample. It can also be used to identify unknown substances by comparing their spectra to known reference spectra.

4. What are the units used in an infrared spectrum?

The units used in an infrared spectrum are typically wavenumbers (cm^-1) or micrometers (μm). Wavenumbers are the inverse of the wavelength, while micrometers represent the actual wavelength of light.

5. What are the limitations of infrared spectroscopy?

One limitation of infrared spectroscopy is that it cannot provide information about the spatial arrangement of molecules in a sample. It also cannot identify elements, only the types of chemical bonds present. Additionally, certain functional groups may have similar absorption bands, making it difficult to distinguish between them in a spectrum.