Infrared spectrum of n-heptane

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the transmittance of blackbody radiation through liquid n-heptane, which has significant absorption peaks at 3.5, 7.0, and 14.0 micrometers. The issue is that a significant portion of the blackbody radiative energy falls outside of this range at higher and lower temperatures. To solve this problem, the speaker used a computer program to approximate the IR wavelengths where an alkane hydrocarbon can have significant spectral peaks based on C-C and C-H bond strengths. They also mention a website that has data up to 500 cm-1, which is the lower limit for vibrational absorption of organic molecules. This information helped solve the problem.
hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have a work assignment where I'm supposed to calculate the transmittance of blackbody radiation through liquid n-heptane, and I have data of the heptane's absorption coefficient on the wavelength interval from 2.6 to 15 micrometers (it has significant peaks at about 3.5 ##\mu##m, 7.0 ##\mu##m and 14.0 ##\mu##m). The problem is, a significant part of the blackbody radiative energy is at wavelengths under 2.6 ##\mu##m at high temperatures and at wavelengths over 15 ##\mu##m at lower temperatures. I managed to get a correct-looking result for high temperatures by assuming that there's no significant absorption maxima in the interval from visible light to 2.6 ##\mu##m (of course there's none at visible range as it's a colorless liquid), but I'm not that sure about the long-wavelength range.

Is there some computer program or some simple approximative calculation that could predict, on the basis of the C-C and C-H bond strengths, the approximate IR wavelengths where an alkane hydrocarbon can have significant spectral peaks?

thanks,
Hilbert2

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thanks, that one seems to have data up to 500 cm-1 (or 20 ##\mu##m wavelength), so it's better than what I had.

hilbert2 said:
Thanks, that one seems to have data up to 500 cm-1 (or 20 ##\mu##m wavelength), so it's better than what I had.
That's basically the lower limit (in terms of energy) of vibrational absorption for organic molecules.

Likes hilbert2
Ok, good, that solves the problem then.

1. What is the infrared spectrum of n-heptane?

The infrared spectrum of n-heptane is a graph that shows the intensity of infrared light absorbed by the molecule at different wavelengths. It is unique to n-heptane and is used to identify the molecular structure and functional groups present in the compound.

2. How is the infrared spectrum of n-heptane obtained?

The infrared spectrum of n-heptane is obtained through a technique called infrared spectroscopy, which involves passing infrared light through a sample of n-heptane and measuring the amount of light absorbed at different wavelengths. This data is then plotted on a graph to create the spectrum.

3. What information can be obtained from the infrared spectrum of n-heptane?

The infrared spectrum of n-heptane can provide information about the functional groups present in the molecule, such as C-H, C-C, and C=C bonds. It can also give insights into the molecular structure and help in identifying impurities or contaminants in a sample of n-heptane.

4. How does the shape of the infrared spectrum of n-heptane differ from other compounds?

The shape of the infrared spectrum of n-heptane is unique to this specific compound and can be used to distinguish it from other compounds. The positions and intensities of the peaks in the spectrum are characteristic of n-heptane and can be used for identification purposes.

5. Can the infrared spectrum of n-heptane be used for quantitative analysis?

Yes, the infrared spectrum of n-heptane can be used for quantitative analysis to determine the concentration of n-heptane in a sample. The intensity of the peaks in the spectrum is directly proportional to the concentration of the compound, making it a useful tool for quantitative measurements.