Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infrared technology

  1. Oct 28, 2007 #1
    I got a simple question,
    who actually specializes in infrared technology? (IR LED diods)
    Is it electrical engineer or someone else? who's domain is it?

  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2

    Claude Bile

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    The name of the field that encompasses devices that operate using both electronic and optical principles (which includes LEDs) is called Optoelectronics. Thus someone who works in the field would be an optoelectrician or an optoelectrical engineer.

  4. Oct 31, 2007 #3
    Titles are really arbitrary. To make most infrared devices or systems you need expertise in a number of different areas. For instance designing and making a detector may involve chemistry, materials science, and solid state physics. Arranging the photons onto the detector (lens, grating, etc) would require expertise in optics. Making a useful electronic signal from the detector output would require electronics knowledge. Then of course these things need to be mechanically assembled. So really you need to have a team or be a Materials Scientist/Physicist/OpticalEngineer/ElectricalEngineer/MechanicalEngineer.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook