Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infrastructure Life Expectancy: Frequency Distribution?

1. Apr 25, 2007 #1
    (I'm reposting this from the Engineering forum after been advised that it's more a statistics problems rather than an engineering problem). :)

I'm currently working on a costing model for water storage tanks. The type of tanks I'm looking at have a certain life expectancy but due to a limited number of installations there isn't much empirical (observed) data about how long they can actually be expected to last before needing replacement.

I have collected estimates from a number of manufacturers who have each given an expected range of life expectances. Generally these are between about 25-50 years, as shown below:

Now what I'd like to do is build some sort of Monte Carlo simulation algorithm using the data in the table above. But I am not sure how to translate that data into a frequency distribution. Does anyone know a formula that I can plug the above numbers into in order to be able to get some kind of frequency distribution? Or am I going about this the wrong way?

Any ideas appreciated. :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted