1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infrastructure Life Expectancy: Frequency Distribution?

1. Apr 25, 2007 #1
    (I'm reposting this from the Engineering forum after been advised that it's more a statistics problems rather than an engineering problem). :)

I'm currently working on a costing model for water storage tanks. The type of tanks I'm looking at have a certain life expectancy but due to a limited number of installations there isn't much empirical (observed) data about how long they can actually be expected to last before needing replacement.

I have collected estimates from a number of manufacturers who have each given an expected range of life expectances. Generally these are between about 25-50 years, as shown below:

http://www.sudsolutions.com/misc/tanks.JPG

Now what I'd like to do is build some sort of Monte Carlo simulation algorithm using the data in the table above. But I am not sure how to translate that data into a frequency distribution. Does anyone know a formula that I can plug the above numbers into in order to be able to get some kind of frequency distribution? Or am I going about this the wrong way?

Any ideas appreciated. :)

Cheers
    -Rob

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted