Find General Solution for Inhomogeneous 2nd ODE

• Thread starter Tzabcan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ode
In summary, to find the general solution for an ODE with non-constant coefficients, first obtain the characteristic equation and find the homogeneous solution. Then, use the method of undetermined coefficients to find a particular solution for the non-homogeneous part of the equation. Finally, add the homogeneous and particular solutions together to get the general solution. This method works because the ODE is linear. If there are terms in the equation that cannot be solved with this method, a different approach may be necessary.
Tzabcan
If i have

3y" - 2y' -y = 14 + e2x+8x

And i want to find the general solution.

Obviously first i obtain the characteristic eqn, yc, by making it into a homogeneous eqn. Then i can get yp

BUT

Am i able to get yp for the e2x and the 14 + 8x separately, then add them together for yp?Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Tzabcan said:
If i have

3y" - 2y' -y = 14 + e2x+8x

And i want to find the general solution.

Obviously first i obtain the characteristic eqn, yc, by making it into a homogeneous eqn. Then i can get yp

BUT

Am i able to get yp for the e2x and the 14 + 8x separately, then add them together for yp?

Yes, because the ODE is linear.

Likes Tzabcan
I would like to expand a little on what pasmith said. Suppose that we have ## y'' - 2y' - y = f(x) + g(x) ## where ## f ## and ## g ## are some functions, and further that we have found solutions ## y_{p1} ## and ## y_{p2} ## such that

## y''_{p1} - 2y'_{p1} - y_{p1} = f(x) ## and

## y''_{p2} - 2y'_{p2} - y_{p2} = g(x) ##.

Then, if we define ## y_p = y_{p1} + y_{p2} ##, we will have

## y''_p - 2y'_p - y_p = (y_{p1}+y_{p2})'' - 2(y_{p1}+y_{p2})' - (y_{p1}+y_{p2}) = y''_{p1} + y''_{p2} - 2y'_{p1} - 2y'_{p2} - y_{p1} - y_{p2} = f(x) + g(x) ##.

If we had somewhere in the differential equation a term like, say, ## y^2 ##, the trick above would no longer work (I recommend trying it to see why).

An obvious "try" would be [itex]y= Ax+ B+ Ce^{2x}[/itex]. Put that into the equation and solve for A, B, and C.

1. What is a 2nd order inhomogeneous ODE?

A 2nd order inhomogeneous ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives, where the function has a non-zero forcing term (non-homogeneous term). This means that the function is not equal to zero, and thus it is not a homogeneous ODE.

2. How do you solve an inhomogeneous 2nd order ODE?

To solve an inhomogeneous 2nd order ODE, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. These methods involve finding a particular solution and combining it with the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous ODE to get the general solution for the inhomogeneous ODE.

3. What is a particular solution of an inhomogeneous 2nd order ODE?

A particular solution of an inhomogeneous 2nd order ODE is a solution that satisfies the non-homogeneous term of the ODE. It is usually found using the method of undetermined coefficients, where a trial solution is substituted into the ODE and the coefficients are determined by equating it to the non-homogeneous term.

4. What is a complementary function in an inhomogeneous 2nd order ODE?

A complementary function (also known as the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous ODE) is a solution that satisfies the homogeneous part of the inhomogeneous 2nd order ODE. It is usually found by solving the characteristic equation of the homogeneous ODE and plugging the roots into the general form of the complementary function.

5. Can an inhomogeneous 2nd order ODE have multiple solutions?

Yes, an inhomogeneous 2nd order ODE can have multiple solutions. The general solution of the inhomogeneous ODE is a combination of the particular solution and the complementary function, so there can be different combinations that satisfy the ODE. Additionally, the particular solution can also have a general form, leading to even more solutions.