1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inhomogeneous diff. eq.

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1
    y''+4y = x*sin2x

Find a particular solution using the method of undetermined coefficients.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

No idea what to do here. My table has no suggestion for a particular solution when r(x) = x*sin2x.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2007 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The RHS consists of the product of a Polynomial of degree one and a trig function

so the P.I. would be (P.I.of the polynomial)*(P.I. for the trig function)

4. Oct 5, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't learn mathematics by using tables, you learn mathematics by using concepts. For sin(2x) on the right hand side your first thought should be Acos(2x)+ Bsin(2x). With "x" you would try Ax+ B. As rockfreak667 said, combine those ideas:
    try y= (Ax+B)sin(2x)+ (Cx+ D)cos(2x)

HOWEVER, sin(2x) and cos(2x) already satisfy the differential equation! I'm sure you already know what to do in that situation- multiply by x. Try (Ax2+ Bx)sin(2x)+ (Cx2+ Dx)cos(2x).

I suspect that, since the equation only involves "even" derivatives, you don't need all of those coefficients- some will be 0- but I see no good way to figure out which in advance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?