1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inhomogeneous linear equation-linear solver

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1
    inhomogeneous linear equation--linear solver

Dear friends,

I am working on a system of coupled inhomogeneous equations of motion having form as follows.
    [tex]
    i \frac{\partial}{\partial t }= \left(\frac{-1}{2\;m} \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}} + A(x,t)\;\frac{\partial}{\partial \;x}+B(x,t) \right) + Q(x,t)
    [/tex]

I use the crank-nicolson algorithm to solve this equation (A.x=B). but the solution is not stable.

I tried to implement the scheme coined by H. G. Muller (Laser physics 9 (1999), 138) to increase space accuracy but the d/dx term gives rise to non-tridiagonal matrix. I have very little experience in solving tridiagonal equations.

Can any one suggest a linear solver that can solve A.X=B with A being a matrix with two upper diagonals and two lower diagonals ?

Any other way to solve such a system?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted