What is the Initial Acceleration of a Charged Particle in an Electric Field?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the initial acceleration of a 30 g particle with a charge of 26 uC, released from rest at a distance of 59 cm from a second particle with a charge of -11 uC. The suggested approach is to use Coulomb's law to calculate the forces exerted by the particles, and then use Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration in m/s^2. It is important to note that 1 uC is equivalent to 10^-6 C, and when dividing by mass, the units must be consistent.
the_d
im stuck on this question if any1 could help i'd appreciate it. A particle of mass 30 g and charge 26 uC is released ffrom rest when it is 59 cm from a second particle of charge -11 uC. The question ask for the initial acceleration of the 30 g particle.

Physics news on Phys.org
To start with...

Try working out the forces being exerted by the particles.

What force acts on the particle? (Hint: Consider Coulomb's law)

so i work out the forces using coulombs law, but then how do u find acceleration in m/s?

Use Newton's 2nd law. (Acceleration has units of m/s^2, not m/s.)

heres what i got can u tell me if its on the right track

F = k (Q1) (Q2) / r^2

F = (9.0 x 10^9) (26uC) (-11uC) / (0.59m)^2

= -7.39 x 10^13 N

Last edited:
Realize that [itex]\mu \mbox{C}[/itex] means micro-Coulombs: 1 [itex]\mu \mbox{C} = 10^{-6} \mbox{C}[/itex].

when dividing by the mass do i have to change grams to kg?

Think of the units that make up a Newton and make sure you use the same

thank u guys for ur help

1. What is initial acceleration?

Initial acceleration refers to the rate at which an object's velocity changes at the beginning of its motion. It is the first acceleration that an object experiences and is usually measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is initial acceleration calculated?

Initial acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the initial acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time elapsed.

3. What factors affect initial acceleration?

The main factors that affect initial acceleration are the force applied to the object and the object's mass. The greater the force applied, the greater the initial acceleration will be. Similarly, the lighter the object, the greater the initial acceleration will be.

4. How does initial acceleration relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Initial acceleration is directly related to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a larger initial acceleration will result from a greater net force or a smaller mass.

5. Why is initial acceleration important in physics?

Initial acceleration is important in physics because it is the starting point for an object's motion and can determine how it will move in the future. It also allows us to understand and analyze the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion. Additionally, initial acceleration is a key concept in many real-world applications, such as in designing vehicles or predicting the trajectory of a projectile.