Initial condition for Schrödinger equation

In summary: Hope it helps!In summary, the time dependent 1D Schrödinger equation shows that the wave function must be an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian operator for a certain value of energy. However, not all initial conditions will give a solution and only those that are proportional to the eigenfunction are of interest. If the initial condition does not verify the above equations, it means that the solution cannot be determined after a certain time.
kengrimwood
(If the equation below do not appear correctly, you can read all of the question in the attached file.)

Solving the time dependent 1D Schrödinger equation, one can show that in all points (x,t),

[tex] i\bar{h}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi(x,t)=-\frac{\bar{h}^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\Psi(x,t)+V(x)\Psi(x,t)=E\Psi(x,t)[/tex]

for a certain value of the energy E. This means that the wave function is necessarily an eigenfunction of the hamiltonian operator.

On the other hand, we may specify an initial condition for this problem. My question is: what if the initial condition DOES NOT verify the above equations. Namely, if [tex]-\frac{\bar{h}^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\Psi(x,t)+V(x)\Psi(x,t)[/tex] is not proportional to [tex]\Psi(x,t)[/tex].

Does it mean that not all initial conditions will give a solution or am I wrong somewhere? Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• main.pdf
    81.3 KB · Views: 319
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your assertion that all possible wavefunctions are eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian is wrong. You mixed the stationary and the non-stationary Schroedinger equations. The stationary one is an eigenvector equation and gives you a basis of the solution space together with the eigenfrequencies. Any solution to the time dependent S.E. can be decomposed into that eigenbasis and each component then evolves with stationary magnitude and given angular frequency for the phase.

Cheers,

Jazz

kengrimwood said:
(If the equation below do not appear correctly

The equations did not display correctly originally because you had a blank space inside each [tex ] and [/tex ] tag, as shown here. I removed those spaces for you. (It's rather difficult to show those tags as ordinary text because the forum software insists on interpreting them as actual tags and then hiding them!)

For more information about using LaTeX here, see:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3977517#post3977517

kengrimwood said:
My question is: what if the initial condition DOES NOT verify the above equations. Namely, if [tex]-\frac{\bar{h}^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\Psi(x,t)+V(x)\Psi(x,t)[/tex] is not proportional to .

Does it mean that not all initial conditions will give a solution or am I wrong somewhere? Thank you for your help!

There can be many solutions to the T.I.S.E(including non-normalizable), but normally only those are of any interest which are proportional to [tex]\Psi(x,t)[/tex](eigenfunction), since only these solutions give you the [tex]E[/tex](eigenvalue) as constant, which in turn are stationary states with definite energy when we apply the initial conditions.

Plainly speaking, if I am getting your problem right, if you cannot solve for the initial wave function, then you cannot determine its solution after time 't'. Its because the time dependent solution is because we consider that after finding the initial solution, we can find the wave evolved over time through the initial one. Its too hard to right the mathematics from mobile, so i just conveyed my opinion on words.

1. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state at a given time.

2. What is the significance of the initial condition in the Schrödinger equation?

The initial condition in the Schrödinger equation is the starting point from which the evolution of a quantum system is calculated. It represents the state of the system at a specific point in time and is crucial for predicting its behavior in the future.

3. How is the initial condition determined in the Schrödinger equation?

The initial condition in the Schrödinger equation is typically determined by measuring the state of the system at a specific time. This can be done through various experimental techniques, such as measuring the position or momentum of a particle.

4. Can the initial condition be changed in the Schrödinger equation?

Yes, the initial condition in the Schrödinger equation can be changed. This can be done by manipulating the state of the system at the starting point, such as by applying a force or changing its environment. However, the change in the initial condition will affect the future evolution of the system.

5. What happens if the initial condition is not specified in the Schrödinger equation?

If the initial condition is not specified in the Schrödinger equation, it is not possible to accurately predict the behavior of the quantum system. This is because the initial condition is necessary for calculating the evolution of the system over time. Without it, the system's future state cannot be determined.