Solving Initial Value Problem: Interval Defined?

In summary, an initial value problem is a type of differential equation that involves finding a function that satisfies both the equation and an initial condition. An interval defined initial value problem is a similar type of problem, but the function is only defined over a specific interval. To solve an interval defined initial value problem, one must find a general solution to the differential equation and then use the initial condition to find a particular solution. The main challenges in solving these problems include ensuring the solution is valid over the entire interval and choosing the appropriate method for solving the problem. These types of problems have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology, allowing for accurate predictions and effective system design.
2RIP
This question asks to solve the initial value problem and determine the interval in which it is defined.

[tex]y'=2x/(1+2y) , y(2)=0[/tex] and after solving, we get the equation [tex] y= -0.5 + \sqrt{x^{2} - 15/4}[/tex](discarded the negative squareroot since governed by initial condition).

Therefore, the interval is found to be [tex] x > or = \sqrt{15/4}[/tex], but my question is, why can't the interval also be defined at [tex] x < \sqrt{15/4}[/tex]? How does it violate the initial condition? The I.C. only points out that when x=2, y=0.

I think I'm missing some basic knowledge for initial value problems...

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this restricted to the reals? If so, there's your explanation.

Oh sorry, I was typing this question very late last night, i meant to mean [tex]x=-\sqrt{15/4}[/tex]

Did you instead mean to say that why [tex]x \neq \pm \sqrt{15/4}[/tex] y' wouldn't be defined at that point, would it?

Well I wasn't really considering whether y' played a role in defining the interval. I was just lost when the solution to that question was any x-value where [tex]x \geq + \sqrt{15/4} [/tex] and the negative of that wasn't part of the answer. I plugged in [tex]x=- \sqrt{15/4}[/tex] to y(x) and it gave me zero also. So why shouldn't [tex] x < -\sqrt{15/4} [/tex] be a solution as well?

?? Well, again, if [itex]x< -\sqrt{15/4}[/itex], then [itex]x^2> 15/4[/itex] and your formula will involve a complex number.

Maybe 2RIP means to ask: why isn't the interval

[tex]|x| \geq \sqrt{15/4}
[/tex]

?

Did you mean [tex]|x| \leq \sqrt{15/4}[/tex] instead?

x2 needs to be greater or equal to 15/4 to avoid having a negative number under the radical.

[tex]
y= -0.5 + \sqrt{x^{2} - 15/4}
[/tex]

2RIP said:
This question asks to solve the initial value problem and determine the interval in which it is defined.

[tex]y'=2x/(1+2y) , y(2)=0[/tex] and after solving, we get the equation [tex] y= -0.5 + \sqrt{x^{2} - 15/4}[/tex](discarded the negative squareroot since governed by initial condition).

Therefore, the interval is found to be [tex] x > or = \sqrt{15/4}[/tex], but my question is, why can't the interval also be defined at [tex] x < \sqrt{15/4}[/tex]? How does it violate the initial condition? The I.C. only points out that when x=2, y=0.

I think I'm missing some basic knowledge for initial value problems...

Thanks in advance
Okay, [itex]\sqrt{x^2- 15/4}[/itex] is defined only for [itex]x>\sqrt{15}/2[/itex] or for [itex]x< -\sqrt{15}/2[/itex]. You are asking why the solutions is not defined for [itex]x< -\sqrt{15}/2[/itex], right?

If you were to find the general solution to the differential equation it would involve a single undetermined constant, C say. The value of that constant can be determined by the initial value, y(2)= 0. Since [itex]x= 2> \sqrt{15}/2[/itex], that C applies to all [itex]x>\sqrt{15}/2[/itex]. However, there is no way to "connect" values of the function for [itex]x>\sqrt{15}/2[/itex] and values of the function for [itex]x< -\sqrt{15}/2[/itex]. There is no way of determining the "C" for [itex]x< -\sqrt{15}/2[/itex].

hi,
i have problem to determine initial condition for this problem. the system models a coupled oscillator
m1x''=-k1x+k2(y-x),
m2y''=-k2(y-x).
Imagine a spring (with constant spring k1) attached to a hook in the ceiling.Mass m1 is attached to the spring, and a second spring (with constant spring k2) is attached to the bottom of mass m1. by attaching mass m2 to the second spring, i have a coupled oscillator where x and y represent the displacements of masses m1 and m2 from their respective equilibrium positions. I have set x1-x, x2=x',x3=y and x4=y1 and i get
x1'=x2,
x2'=(-k1/m1)x1+(k2/m1)(x3-x1),
x3'=x4,
x4'=(-k2/m2)(x3-x1).
Assume k1=k2=1 and m1=m2=1.
Suppose that the first mass is displaced upward two units, the second mass downward two units, and both masses are released from rest, therefore the initial conditions for this problem are
x(0)=-2,x'(0)=0;y(0)=2;y',(0)=0;

Can anyone verify whether my stated initial conditions right or wrong...:frown:

Does anyone can verify these initial conditions?

femme77 said:
Suppose that the first mass is displaced upward two units, the second mass downward two units, and both masses are released from rest, therefore the initial conditions for this problem are

Yes, looks good, as long as you meant to use downward as the positive direction.

femme77 said:
hi,
i have problem to determine initial condition for this problem. the system models a coupled oscillator
m1x''=-k1x+k2(y-x),
m2y''=-k2(y-x).
Imagine a spring (with constant spring k1) attached to a hook in the ceiling.Mass m1 is attached to the spring, and a second spring (with constant spring k2) is attached to the bottom of mass m1. by attaching mass m2 to the second spring, i have a coupled oscillator where x and y represent the displacements of masses m1 and m2 from their respective equilibrium positions. I have set x1-x, x2=x',x3=y and x4=y1 and i get
x1'=x2,
x2'=(-k1/m1)x1+(k2/m1)(x3-x1),
x3'=x4,
x4'=(-k2/m2)(x3-x1).
Assume k1=k2=1 and m1=m2=1.

Yes, those initial conditions are correct.

However, in the future, please do not "hijack" someone else's thread to ask a new question. It is very easy to start your own thread. Click on the "new topic" button at the top of the list of threads.

1. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that involves finding a function that satisfies both the equation and an initial condition. The initial condition provides a starting point for the function, usually in the form of a specific value for the function at a given point.

2. What is an interval defined initial value problem?

An interval defined initial value problem is an initial value problem where the function is only defined over a specific interval, rather than the entire real number line. This type of problem is more common in practical applications, as many real-world functions are only defined over a certain range.

3. How do you solve an interval defined initial value problem?

To solve an interval defined initial value problem, you must first find a general solution to the differential equation. Then, you can use the initial condition to find a particular solution that satisfies both the equation and the initial condition. This can be done using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors.

4. What are the main challenges in solving an interval defined initial value problem?

One of the main challenges in solving an interval defined initial value problem is ensuring that the solution you find is valid over the entire interval. This may require checking for singularities or other points where the solution may not be well-defined. Another challenge is determining the appropriate method to use in solving the problem, as different techniques may be more suitable for different types of differential equations.

5. How are interval defined initial value problems used in real-world applications?

Interval defined initial value problems are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems that change over time, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and heat transfer. Solving these problems allows scientists and engineers to make accurate predictions and design systems that function effectively.