Initial Downward Acceleration

In summary: So, in step 2 you should have written:F(buoyant)-mg=maF(buoyant)-(1000 kg/m^3)*(9.8 m/s^2)*(1.8)=-(1000 kg/m^3)*(9.8*10^5 m/s^2)*(1.8)=12884.93684 m/s^2
Bizznaatch
"Find the initial downward acceleration a of an iron ball of density p =7.60 g/cm3 when submerged in water and released from rest. (Use pwater = 1000 kg/m3)."

My steps so far:

1. I converted p=7.60g/cm3 to p=.76kg/m3.
2. I drew a free-body diagram, taking the buoyant force upwards as positive and the weight of the ball as negative, and set this equal to the mass of the ball times some acceleration:

F(buoyant)-mg=ma

3. I also know that the buoyant force = density(fluid) * Volume(fluid displaced) * gravity, as well as density(ball)=mass(ball) * Volume(ball). I rewrote the above equation to take this into account:

[p(fluid)*V(fluid)*gravity]-[p(ball)*V(ball)*gravity]=p(ball)*V(ball)*a

4. Since we know that the volume of the fluid displaced equals the volume of the ball, then all of the V's in the above equation are equal and will cancel out:

[p(fluid)*gravity]-[p(ball)*gravity]=p(ball)*a

5. This reduces to:

[gravity(p(fluid)-p(ball)]/p(ball)=a

6. Plugging in my numbers, I get a=12884.93684 m/s^2. This is apparently incorrect. Also taking the negative of this number doesn't work (in case they wanted a negative acceleration). Are my steps/thinking correct here? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Bizz.
This appears to be homework problem, so I've alerted the Mentors to move the thread if they so deem.

Hi Bizznaatch,

In your step 1 you wrote that the density of the iron ball was 0.76 kg/m^3, but the density of water is 1000 kg/m^3. Iron is definitely denser than water so it looks like a unit conversion problem.

Remeber that since the original density was in terms of g/cm^3, you have one factor of grams to convert to kilograms but three factors of centimeters to convert to meters.

1. What is initial downward acceleration?

Initial downward acceleration is the rate at which an object initially speeds up as it falls towards the ground due to the force of gravity. It is commonly denoted as "g" and has a value of 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth.

2. How is initial downward acceleration calculated?

Initial downward acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where "a" is acceleration, "vf" is final velocity, "vi" is initial velocity, and "t" is time. In the case of an object falling towards the ground, the initial velocity is typically 0, so the formula becomes a = vf/t.

3. What factors affect initial downward acceleration?

The only factor that affects initial downward acceleration is the force of gravity. This force is dependent on the mass of the object and the distance between the object and the center of the Earth. The closer an object is to the Earth's surface, the stronger the force of gravity and the greater the initial downward acceleration.

4. Can initial downward acceleration be negative?

Yes, initial downward acceleration can be negative if the object is initially moving upwards. In this case, the acceleration would be considered negative because it is acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

5. How does air resistance impact initial downward acceleration?

Air resistance can impact initial downward acceleration by slowing down the object as it falls. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to experience a smaller acceleration. However, air resistance is typically negligible for objects falling towards the ground, so it has minimal impact on initial downward acceleration.