1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Initial Mass Function problem

1. Dec 30, 2008 #1
    Hi, I've got a solution to this problem but I don't know if it's correct. My lecturer hasn't given us any examples but I had a go and the answer seems fine. Here it is:

The IMF of a cluster of stars is: dN[tex]\propto[/tex]m-2.5dm
    There are 5 stars in the cluster with mass greater than 10 solar masses.
    What is the number of stars with mass greater than 2 solar masses?

I put in 5 for dN, and solved the integral from 10 to infinity, to get the proportionality constant: 237.
    Now using the constant, I solved the integral from 2 to 10 to find N in this range of masses. Then I added the 5 stars which are more massive than 10 solar masses.
    Final answer: 56 stars.

Seems plausible to me, but I have no way right now of checking the answer.
    Thanks a lot for any help!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF :smile:

I agree with your math, though I am not familiar with mass distributions of stars and will take your word for it that part is valid.

FYI, you could also do the integral from 2 to ∞, and that will include the 5 stars with m>10.
  4. Dec 30, 2008 #3
    thank you for your opinion. I've been working away at a few different problems and I seem to have them sorted out now :approve:
    I found some examples on my physics department website which helped.

I did agree with you about solving the integral from 2 to [tex]\infty[/tex] but I tried it and it doesn't give the right answer. I think this is since the question only says there are 5 stars above 10 solar masses, and so these could be very massive or only a little more than 10 solar masses. So I think the method is to integrate from 2 to 10 then simply add on the remaining 5 to give the correct answer :smile:

thanks again :smile:
  5. Dec 31, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's weird, I definitely get 56 using 2 to ∞ for the integral.

6. Dec 31, 2008 #5
    Oh, I probably made a silly mistake when I did the integral. At least it confirms my answer of 56 :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?