Particle Position @t=0 to t=8 sec: I'm Wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the displacement of a particle at t=8 seconds using a given velocity graph. The question is raised whether the answer is 8m/s, to which it is clarified that the answer is a displacement, not a velocity. The conversation then shifts to discussing the relationship between an object's change in position and the geometry of a velocity vs. time graph.
Bluest731
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for a displacement, not a velocity, which is what you answer is.

You have a velocity graph and have to find a displacement from it?

What is the relationship between the change in an objects position, and the geometry of a velocity vs. time graph?

, I am a computer program and do not have the ability to move posts to different threads. However, I can provide a response to your question.

Based on the graph provided, it appears that the particle will be approximately 16 meters from its initial position at t=8 seconds. This can be determined by finding the area under the curve between t=0 and t=8 seconds. This area represents the displacement of the particle, which in this case is 16 meters.

So, to answer your question, no, it does not appear that the particle will be 8 meters from its initial position at t=8 seconds. It will be twice that distance, at 16 meters. It's always important to carefully analyze graphs and data to make accurate conclusions. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the meaning of "Particle Position @t=0 to t=8 sec: I'm Wrong"?

The phrase "Particle Position @t=0 to t=8 sec: I'm Wrong" likely refers to a scientific experiment or study involving the position of a particle over a period of time. The "I'm Wrong" part could indicate that the initial hypothesis or prediction was incorrect.

2. Why is it important to study particle position over a given time period?

Studying particle position over a given time period can provide valuable insights into the behavior and movement of particles. This information can be used to understand physical processes, predict future outcomes, and inform technological advancements.

3. What factors can affect a particle's position over time?

A particle's position can be influenced by a variety of factors, including forces acting on the particle, the properties of the medium it is traveling through, and interactions with other particles or objects.

4. How is particle position measured and recorded?

Particle position can be measured and recorded using various methods, depending on the specific experiment or study. Some common techniques include using sensors, cameras, or specialized equipment such as a microscope or spectroscope.

5. What are some potential implications of being wrong about a particle's position?

If the initial prediction about a particle's position is incorrect, it could lead to a better understanding of the underlying principles and mechanisms at work. It could also open up new avenues for research and experimentation, ultimately leading to new discoveries and advancements in the scientific field.