Initial Rate of Decomposition

In summary, the initial rate of decomposition for NO2 in a second order reaction is calculated using the equation rate=k[C]^2, where k is the rate constant and [C] is the concentration at t=0. For this specific problem, the correct answer is 5.4 x 10^-5 M/s, rounded to two significant figures. However, a previous question in the set asked for the instantaneous rate at t=100 and the program accepted an answer of .000017 M/s, although it should have been rounded to .000018 M/s. This may be due to the fact that the rate constant is for the overall reaction, while the question specifically asks for the rate of decomposition of NO.
chhhnhhsh

Homework Statement

What is the Initial Rate of Decomposition for NO2.
Where 2NO2-----> 2NO + O2
K=.54
Concentration at t=0 is .008 M
This is a second order reaction.

Homework Equations

Rate=k[C]2

The Attempt at a Solution

Rate=.54[.008]2=.000035 (directed to give a two sig fig answer)

This answer is not being accepted, I'm not sure what I'm missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi chhhnhhsh! welcome to pf! :smile:

isn't it 5.4, not .54 ? :redface:

Thank you for the welcome!
Sorry I misprinted the information above.
A previous question for this problem was "what is the value of the rate constant" and the text calculates it for you as k=(.54 / M*s).

What is really getting to me is a previous question as well where it asked for the instantaneous rate at t=100 where the concentration = .00559 M.

To calculate this I did the same thing.
rate=.54(.00559)2 = .000017 M/s. The program accepted this answer but said I should have rounded to .000018 M/s. Which I didn't understand because the real answer is .000016874.
Should I be using a different rate calculation?

Last edited:
Maybe it's a bit of a trick question based oon the fact that the rate constant is a 2nd order one for bimolecular reaction 2NO2 -> ..., but they ask for "rate of decomposition of NO"2. ?

Last edited:

Your calculation for the initial rate of decomposition is correct. However, it is possible that the answer is not being accepted because it is not given with the correct units. The units for the initial rate of decomposition in this case would be M/s or mol/L*s. Double check to make sure you have included the correct units in your answer. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct value for the rate constant (k) in your calculation. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to show your work or consult with a classmate or teacher for further assistance.

1. What is the Initial Rate of Decomposition?

The Initial Rate of Decomposition is a measure of how quickly a substance breaks down into smaller, simpler components. It is typically measured as the decrease in the concentration of the substance over time.

2. Why is the Initial Rate of Decomposition important?

The Initial Rate of Decomposition is important because it can provide valuable information about the stability and reactivity of a substance. It can also help predict how quickly a substance will decompose in different environments.

3. How is the Initial Rate of Decomposition determined?

The Initial Rate of Decomposition is determined by measuring the change in concentration of the substance over a specific period of time. This can be done using various techniques such as spectrophotometry, titration, or gas chromatography.

4. What factors can affect the Initial Rate of Decomposition?

The Initial Rate of Decomposition can be affected by a variety of factors, including temperature, pH, concentration of reactants, and the presence of catalysts or inhibitors. The chemical structure and composition of the substance can also play a role.

5. How is the Initial Rate of Decomposition used in scientific research?

The Initial Rate of Decomposition is used in scientific research to study the kinetics of chemical reactions, determine the stability of substances, and develop new products or processes. It is also an important factor in environmental studies, as it can help predict the decomposition of pollutants in the soil or water.