What Initial Speed Makes Two Balls Meet Mid-Air?

In summary, the problem involves two balls - one dropped from rest from a height of 20.0m and the other thrown vertically upward from the ground. The goal is to determine the initial velocity of the second ball so that it meets the first ball at a height of 10.0m. Using the equations time = square root(2y/-g) and initial velocity = x/t, a time of 1.43 seconds and an initial velocity of 6.99m/s for the second ball are calculated. However, the given answer of 14m/s does not match and requires a formula accounting for acceleration, such as v_y(t) = v_y(0)+gt.
eophysics

Homework Statement

OK, here's the problem: A ball (first ball) is dropped from rest from a height 20.0m above the ground. Another ball is thrown (second ball) vertically upward from the ground at the instant the first ball is released. Determine the intial speed of the second ball if the two balls are to meet at a height 10.0m above the ground.

Homework Equations

The equations I am using are time = square root(2y/-g), and initial velocity = x/t.

The Attempt at a Solution

For time I get square root((2(-10m))/9.8m/s^2) = 1.43 seconds.
For initial velocity of the second ball I get 10m/1.43s = 6.99m/s.

However, at the end of the problem it says that the answer should be 14m/s but I can't figure out how to get that so am I doing something wrong, or is the answer I am given wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.
The formula v=x/t is only valid if there is no acceleration. Take a look at your textbook again. There should be a formula for velocity when you have acceleration.

Would that formula be Vy0 = Vy + gt?

That depends on how you choose your minuses. The complete form would be
[tex]v_y(t) = v_y(0)+gt[/tex]

I would say that your solution and calculations seem correct. It is possible that there is an error in the given answer of 14m/s. I would recommend double-checking the problem and equations, and if everything seems correct, then it is likely that the given answer is incorrect. It is always important to critically evaluate and question any given information, even if it is from a trusted source.

1. What is initial speed?

Initial speed refers to the speed of an object at the beginning of its motion.

2. How is initial speed calculated?

Initial speed can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes for the object to travel that distance.

3. Can initial speed change?

Yes, initial speed can change if there is a change in the object's velocity or direction of motion.

4. What factors affect initial speed?

The initial speed of an object can be affected by factors such as the force applied, the mass of the object, and any external forces acting on the object.

5. Why is initial speed important in scientific experiments?

Initial speed is important in scientific experiments because it allows us to analyze and understand the motion of objects, and it can help us make predictions about future motion of the same or similar objects.