Head First: Falling w/ Initial Zero Angular Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of people often landing on their head first when falling from a height, despite the initial angular momentum being zero. Various factors such as aerodynamics, body weight and Murphy's Law are mentioned as possible explanations for this occurrence. However, it is suggested that with enough time and practice, a person should be able to control their body and land on any part they desire.
Bipix
Initial angular momentum = 0

when we fall from a height, how does our head automatically reach the ground first than our legs though the initial angular momentum is zero?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bipix said:
when we fall from a height, how does our head automatically reach the ground first than our legs though the initial torque is zero?
Jump with head first? Seriously, what do you mean by "initial torque is zero"? The external torque is always zero during a fall, so the angular momentum is constant (aerodynamics aside). Did you mean: "initial angular momentum is zero"?

See this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=527460

yes i meant initial angular momentum to be zero but not jumping with head at first!

Bipix said:
yes i meant initial angular momentum to be zero but not jumping with head at first!
Rotate your arms. See other thread.

Bipix said:

Do you mean: 'why do people usually end up hitting the ground head first'?

Given enough time, a person should be able to turn themselves any way they like (as a cat does).
If a person is pushed off a roof (like in films), this means their upper body goes down first, then their legs follow. So this might be why you seem to think the head usually ends up hitting the ground first.
Maybe there is a slight aerodynamic bias to going head first (since the legs flail about).

But I think in general, any part of the body is as likely to hit the ground first. (especially if the person is spinning while they are falling).

BruceW said:
If a person is pushed off a roof (like in films), this means their upper body goes down first, then their legs follow.
That's a case of non zero angular momentum.

BruceW said:
But I think in general, any part of the body is as likely to hit the ground first. (especially if the person is spinning while they are falling).
No, people are like toast: They always land wrong way down.

Cat_toast_swirl.gif

At least give a reason for why people always land the wrong way down.

What about the weight of the head?? Doesn't that support the theory? If an object is thrown (or if it falls) the heaviest side is usually in the front (facing the direction in which it is traveling?)

HoBBLeCooKiE said:
What about the weight of the head?? Doesn't that support the theory? If an object is thrown (or if it falls) the heaviest side is usually in the front (facing the direction in which it is traveling?)

You mean the head is denser than the legs? Yeah, that's probably true. Difficult to tell how important that factor is..

BruceW said:
Murphy's law

I don't think Murphy's law applies in this case.
If you're setting up a tv there are many ways for it to go wrong, but only one way to go right.
But a person landing on his head first would be less probable than him landing on any other body part. (unless there is some other reason like hobblecookie's which explains why he would land head-first).

BruceW said:

Whenever I fall (off a bridge, off a diving board, off a trampoline, etc.) I always land on my feet. Perhaps the people who land on their head need more practice.

1. What is "Head First: Falling w/ Initial Zero Angular Momentum"?

"Head First: Falling w/ Initial Zero Angular Momentum" is a scientific phenomenon that occurs when a person jumps or falls from a stationary position and starts rotating in mid-air without any initial spin.

2. How does "Head First: Falling w/ Initial Zero Angular Momentum" happen?

This phenomenon happens due to the conservation of angular momentum. When a person jumps or falls with their arms and legs extended, their center of mass is not aligned with their axis of rotation, causing them to start rotating in mid-air.

3. Is "Head First: Falling w/ Initial Zero Angular Momentum" dangerous?

No, this phenomenon is not dangerous as long as the person has a safe landing and is properly trained in landing techniques. However, it can lead to injury if the person does not have control over their rotation or does not land properly.

4. Can anyone experience "Head First: Falling w/ Initial Zero Angular Momentum"?

Yes, anyone who jumps or falls from a stationary position with their arms and legs extended can experience this phenomenon. However, it is more commonly observed in athletes or gymnasts who have trained to control their movements in mid-air.

5. Are there any real-life applications of "Head First: Falling w/ Initial Zero Angular Momentum"?

Yes, this phenomenon has been studied and applied in various sports such as diving, gymnastics, and figure skating. It can also be observed in other areas such as acrobatics and dance performances.