1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Initial value problem, first order linear ode

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    Hey,

We haven't properly covered this in class yet, but I am trying to study ahead using online course notes, I manage to finish a few questions but I have gotten stuck here,

The question starts by asking for the solution to the ODE:

y' = 1 - 2xy,

When I solve this using the integrating factor technique in the final line I end up with an integral of ex^2dx which I feel isn't right, wolframalpha spits out something similar but the solution involves the complex error function which I have never studied before.

Moving past that problem I started on the rest of the question,

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6343/asdahi.jpg [Broken]

From reading them it looks like b implies c is that right?

If all approximations exist on |x|≤1/2 then they would converge to the solution right?

And the initial theorm in my notes states that if |x|≤h≤a then there exists a unique solution y=phi, where h = Min(a, b/M) and |f(x,y)|=|1-2xy|≤M

I'm not sure on how to show b) though I keep thinking I have found which part of the theorem proof to use but I contradict myself. Could anyone steer me in the right direction?

For d) in class we were given that the difference between any approximation and the solution is

[itex]|{{\phi }_{n}}-\phi |\,\le \frac{M}{k}\frac{{{(kh)}^{n+1}}}{(n+1)!}{{e}^{kh}}\,\,\,\,\,\,where\,\,\,\left| \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \right|\le k[/itex]

So using this,

|f(x,y)|=|1-2xy|≤1 + 2 (1/2) 1 = 2 = M
    |df(x,y)/dy|=|1-2x|≤2=k

and h = 1/2

Subbing it all into the equation i get ≤0.11

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted