Solving Initial-Value Problem: Finding a Solution for dy/dx=-y^2 with y(0)=.0625

• Thread starter bobbarkernar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a separable differential equation with an initial value problem. The solution involves separating variables and solving the resulting equation, with the initial condition y(0) = 0.0625. The conversation also covers the basics of integrals and how to solve them.
bobbarkernar
i have no idea on how to start this problem.

Find a solution of the initial-value problem

dy/dx= -y^2 , y(0)=.0625

please if someone can help me start it or explain it to me

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a separable differential equation is?

you need to first use separation of variables, to get [tex] y(x) [/tex].

So: [tex] -\frac{dy}{y^{2}} = dx [/tex]

[tex] \int -\frac{dy}{y^{2}} = \int dx [/tex]

no we just started covering DE on friday

Well they're the type of differential equation that are the easiest to solve. If you've not yet seen how to solve this type of DE, why not just postpone the resolution of the problem til you've learned about it?

in class all we went over was exponential growth and decay. but i don't remember going over initial-value problems.

All an "initial value problem" is is a DE together with an "initial condition", i.e. a value of y(0). So just solve the differential equation, and set y(0)=0.0625. this will specify a concrete value of the intgegration constant. So, start with solving the differential equation like courtrigrad showed you. Can you do that?

im not sure exactly how to solve the DE. What does dy and dx become?
do they just simply become x and y?

You don't know how to solve an integral?!

i can solve integrals, but I am confused about what the integral of dx becomes. i can solve the integral of -1/y^2 which is 1/y. i don't know what goes on with the integral of dy or dx.

[itex]\int dx[/itex] is a notation for [itex]\int 1dx[/itex]. Surely you can solve [itex]\int 1dx[/itex]? It's only a matter of finding a function F(x) such that F'(x) = 1 and adding an "integration constant" C to it.

oh so the integral of dx is simply x+c. but what is going on with the dy?

The dy is only there to say that you must integrate with respect to y.

[tex] \int -\frac{dy}{y^{2}}[/tex] is a notation for [tex] \int -\frac{1}{y^{2}} \ \ dy[/tex]

1. What is an initial-value problem?

An initial-value problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a differential equation with given initial conditions. These initial conditions usually include a value for the dependent variable and a specific value for the independent variable.

2. What does "dy/dx" mean?

"dy/dx" is a notation used to represent the derivative of the dependent variable, y, with respect to the independent variable, x. It is commonly used in differential calculus to express the instantaneous rate of change of a function.

3. How do you solve an initial-value problem?

To solve an initial-value problem, you must first find the general solution to the given differential equation. Then, you can use the given initial conditions to find the particular solution that satisfies those conditions. This can be done through integration and substitution.

4. What is the differential equation for this initial-value problem?

The differential equation for this initial-value problem is dy/dx = -y^2. This means that the rate of change of y with respect to x is equal to the negative of the square of y.

5. How do you find the specific solution for this initial-value problem with y(0)=.0625?

To find the specific solution, you would first find the general solution to the differential equation dy/dx = -y^2. Then, you would substitute the value of y(0) = .0625 into the general solution. This would give you the particular solution for this initial-value problem.